NYC - engagement rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

M007

What is the story with declaring a ring on the way back through customs - what is the tax charge? What can happen if you avoid it?

Did it. Go over, do the deal, post home all documents, wear ring home, or if your male just throw it in your bag. I was recommended a brilliant jeweller that can do anything you want and is most reasonable (no connection). PM me if you want the details.

M007, roytheboyo is corrent, it is this simple, however what he is describing is also illegal and there can be implications. If you do decide to go ahead with the wear it home or hide it in your bag you shouls be aware of what this means.

addob

if getting insurance for the ring do you have to show where you purchased it etc

No you don't need proof of purchase to get ring insured.But you will need a valuation report. Wiers do it for €50.

I am not recommending anything illegal, i am simply advising what i did and i saved a heap of money doing it.
I had it insured based on the diamond value initially, by ringing insurance co. from NYC, then had it valued here in an independent jeweller and got it insured for that amount, which was 30-40% more than i paid for it.
Absolutely there are implications, duty vat etc, i just reckon the chances of questions being asked are slim.

Did it. Go over, do the deal, post home all documents, wear ring home, or if your male just throw it in your bag. I was recommended a brilliant jeweller that can do anything you want and is most reasonable (no connection). PM me if you want the details.

I tried to pm you but there is no option. Am lookign for good place for wedding rings over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back