NY to Washington

IrishGunner

Miss Gunner wants to go back to NY but wants to take in Washington also,another capital of our list. Trains run from NY to Washington is it worth going there and how long does it take.Not much to do in Washington so maybe fly to NY train to Washington stay there 2 days then head back to NY and fly home from there

Any tips or advice

Arlington National Cemetary, Natural History Museum, all the Smithsonian Museums, head to Grorgetown for shopping/restaurants, loads to keep you occupied in DC. Jury's isn't bad. look up the subway in DC, it's excellent. Unless you are particularly interested, I wouldn't bother with the Capitol building or the Whitehouse. but they do have tours.

For me the museums are a must.

as for trains visit http://www.amtrak.com

prices are in the $50 - $150 and travel times are 3-4 hours.

.Not much to do in Washington

Any tips or advice

What do you mean there's not much to !? There's enough to keep even the most demanding tourisy busy for 3-4 days easily All of the above, and the panda at the Zoo, Spy Museum etc. Nice restaurants also - very civilised place. It's about 3 or at most 4 hrs on the train from NY - that's the best way to go I reckon.

Maybe its my Ignorance. Not a museum or Zoo person so thats why I thought 2-3 days should be ok. Train looks good option just have to price it along with accomodation etc

Maybe you should have set out your stall in the first place so people wouldn't bother suggesting activities you're not interested in. Hope you have got over disappointing result vs Birmingham....

If you're booking with Amtrack and have suitcases, make sure the train you want has a luggage car (checked baggage), not all of the trains have this facility.

DC is amazing. Even if you're not a museum person, some of them are fascinating, such as the air & space museum.

If you want a tour of the White House, then you need to contact the embassy in Washington, DC for assistance in submitting a tour request.

I would suggest a boat tour on the Potomac, Lincoln memorial, Vietnam War memorial, Arlington Cemetery etc

There's loads of stuff to do in DC. I was there for 4 days and it wasn't nearly enough.

Washington is a great city; even just to walk around if you are not a museum person. A walk down the Mall from the Lincoln Memorial to Capitol Hill along the Reflecting Pool, the Washington Monument is beautiful especially in the summer

2-3 days should be sufficient to take in the city

Loved Washington. Spent 4 days there not nearly enough. All the information above about museums, memorial gardens, walk around White House perimiter and take in the atmosphere, walk to the house of representatives. Watch the 3 helicopters come and go from the White House, then you know the President is nearby. That is how he travels in one of the three. In Arlington Cemetory we saw the sad funerals of 3 military personnel who died in Afghanstan and the military funerals were very interesting, the gun carriages, and all the military formalities were amazing. We travelled by
Amtrax from NY. If you have a lot of luggage get a red cap to bring up your luggage and they will get you to the train before the crowd. They dont announce the platform until the last minute and you get there first for the cost of the tip. Dont book Amtrax until you get the Penn. Station. they sell only the expensive tickets online.
Take the Old Trolley Tour, will will bring you to all the monuments and places of interest. Enjoy Browtal

Thanks

Checking on the Amtrak website and the return fare is working out at $100. Are you saying its cheaper on the day or book in Penn station? Whats a red cap...Porter? Looking at 3 days in Washington. Have not done the Google yet on accomdation just checked one hotel chain, Red Roof and it was $166 for 3 days. Any other recommendations?

To enoxy It aint over till the fat lady sings and we still got Barca tonight but thats for another forum

Hi,
You have got a great rate from Amtraz, it was more expensive when we travelled. When travelling from Penn Station in Central NY they dont call out the platform no. untill the train is about to travel. The rush can be rough and if you are carying luggage the red cap (porter) will take up the luggage in advance of the announcement and for a dollar you have the convenience of getting a seat without the inconvenience.
We stayed in The Marriott near the White House, we were abl to walk to most of the interesting sites. It is a bit expensive like $200 per night.
Eating out can be expensive, try the Old Ebbitt Grill near the White House, it is
excellent and good value.
See some of the Smithonian Museum, I am not really a museum person, but the interactive displays are wonderful. American museums are more animated than the European ones. I thought it was as good as Cape Canaveral in Florida, which was wonderful.
The Old Trolley Tour is well worth taking for 2 days, it covers everything.
Enjoy Brwotal