Nursing Homes, Children's Hostels & HIQA.

Bluebells

Am I alone in thinking that it is extraordinary that HIQA can shut down, and relocate the staff and students from the facility in Ballydowd for disruptive children in a matter of months, yet the Nursing Homes where there were violations in caring for the Elderly, remain open?

Is it because the latter are privately run, or have I got it wrong, and the offending places were shut down?

Having heard a recent radio item on Nursing Homes, I thought the wheels of HIQA grind a lot slower, and not quite so fine as that.

Not sure what the answer to that is Bluebells.

What I would also be concerned about would be what exactly is wrong with these disruptive children. What can they be doing that warrents a special unit? What are the age ranges and what has caused their behaviour issues?

Were some of the children previously held in the likes of Goldenbridge and other institutions not also considered to be disruptive?

I certainly hope we don't still have institutional abuse going on in 2009.

According to the News on RTE last night it was because some residential housing units were built in close proximity to the 'Home' thus impeaching these gurriers privacy!
So - they ship them off to Portrane Mental institution to no doubt cause some more havoc in the local area not to mention the residents in Portrane.

Corporal punishment whould never have been done away with..

Did you think about giving HIQA a call, and talking to somebody there to understand what was going on, and what legislation is relevant?

Corporal punishment whould never have been done away with..
Has corporal punishment proved effective in other countries?

Did you think about giving HIQA a call, and talking to somebody there to understand what was going on, and what legislation is relevant?

No, I didn't. It was the middle of the night when I started to wonder about it, having heard a replay of a morning radio show.

All the HIQA people were in bed, and when they were up and about, I
was in the leaba.

Last edited:
Has corporal punishment proved effective in other countries?[/quote]

Whatever about other countries..IMO it proved very effective when I was growing up in the 70's/80's. where if you did something wrong and were caught, you knew all about and thought long & hard before doing it again!
Seems these days the perpetrator has more rights than the victim..

Would this be the same 70s and 80s where herion tore apart many communities in Dublin and beyond, where the first Irish drug gangs came into being (remember the Dunnes), where racism and bullying where institutionalised as part of our way of doing things? Given what we've now found out about what actually happened in the 70s and 80s, I'm not so sure that it was effective. I was really just wondering if there is any decent research out there that highlights its effectiveness or otherwise.

In reply:

The 90's and Noughties has brought about the mass consumption of cocaine in this country which equally tears families apart in every community in the State.
They have also seen the most violent/vicious drug gangs ever seen in this country who'd make the gangs of the 70's look like shoplifters.
IMO this is partly due to the fact that these gang members have been commiting crime with impunity from very early ages with absolutely no fear of the law or retribution.
Lastly - I really hope a staff member from St.Ita's (where these thugs are being transferred to) would like to comment on the effect they have on the hospital (and wider) community up there in Portrane.

Lastly - I really hope a staff member from St.Ita's (where these thugs are being transferred to) would like to comment on the effect they have on the hospital (and wider) community up there in Portrane.
What's this all about? Are you referring to the transfer of the Central Mental Hospital from Dundrum to Portrane?
If so, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. There are no gang members in the CMH. It is full of people who have committed voilent crimes while mentally ill.

I share your concern about cocaine and drug gangs, but I don't see any connection with corporal punishment. Somehow, I don't think a few skelps of the leather would have made a huge difference for the Dundon McCarthys or the Westies - Do you? Has it made a difference anywhere else?

Well, since they've been treated with kid gloves all their lives - look how they've turned out!

No - this is where the incarcerated juveniles are being transferred to (nothin to do with the CMH).
Are you talking about Crannog Nua, the special school that has been in operation in the grounds of St Ita's since 2002?
http://www.education.ie/insreports/report1_20136N.htm

Well, since they've been treated with kid gloves all their lives - look how they've turned out!
I don't accept that they've been treated with kid gloves all their lives. They come from communities that have generally been treated very poorly, with poor schools, no community facilities, little or no investment etc. I know that most people from these communities don't turn to crime, but it doesn't come as a surprise to me to see the fairly close coorelation between social deprivation and drug-related crime.

But even if I did accept that they've been treated with kid gloves, I think we need a bit more evidence to go down this road. Has this approach worked anywhere?