Health Insurance Nurofen+ - Just been charged over €13 for 24 tablets

elcato

I get these now and again and notice the price steadily creeping towards a tenner but I was charged 13 euro this morning in Dublin city centre. I queried the price and was told they went up twice in the last 6 months. I am going to check around but is this price gauging by pharmacists everywhere or is this an isolated incident ?

Sounds like it would be cheaper to buy generic ibuprofen and Solpadeine separately? I would get Easofen or Buplex rather than Nurofen.

Inish Pharmacy are one of the few Irish phamacies with a full online sales offering for OTC medicines. They have basic Nurofen but not Nurofen plus.
e.g. https://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/nurofen-ibuprofen-200mg-coated-tablets/p-nurofen200

This site has them for €10 but I haven't used. You will have delivery charges to consider.

It could be price gauging by Nurofen themselves to a certain extent... actually TheFamilyPharmacy site has fairly typical pricing for other OTC medicines, so unless it is still on old pricing that chemist was €3 OTT.

Last edited:
If you're ever going on holidays to Spain, Turkey, etc, bring your prscrip with you although you might not always need it, but you will buy antibiotics and possibly Nurofen Plus and other medicines an awful lot cheaper. Another thing, shop around and online, you can buy far cheaper in a lot of Irish Pharmacies and lots of them deal online with big discounts and all above board.

Or as mentioned above, just buy the generic brands...….They are exactly the same. To be fair to pharmacies, my local one is always trying to educate people on buying the cheaper version. Unfortunately people like my wife are still brainwashed by brands...….

I don't believe there is a generic brand which offers ibuprofen and codeine in one tablet ? These are non-prescription so Spain etc is not an option (codeine cannot be bought otc). The alternative is the UK where 32 tablets are £9 so pro rata about €7ish. I was just curious about the fact that the last packet cost me less than a tenner so an increase of 33% is ttp imo.

I don't believe there is a generic brand which offers ibuprofen and codeine in one tablet ? These are non-prescription so Spain etc is not an option (codeine cannot be bought otc). The alternative is the UK where 32 tablets are £9 so pro rata about €7ish. I was just curious about the fact that the last packet cost me less than a tenner so an increase of 33% is ttp imo.

Not just one one tablet - I don't think there's a generic brand of codeine in ROI fullstop.

£6.99 on Superdrug UK website for 24. In effect, you were charged double the UK price. £2.20 for ordinary Nurofen at Sainsburys. Sadly the Pharmacy Regulator will not take a complaint about pricing. Maybe its one for Joe Duffy

There is Maxilief also, with paracetamol rather than Ibuprofen.

[broken link removed]

Back