Nuisance text message!

Caili

Hi,

My other half keeps getting these text messages which rob nearly all his credit. He has spoken to O2 who said they had put a stop on them but they are still coming. Does anyone know what he can do to put a stop to them once and for all??

Thanks

Ring O2 again. Demand (nicely) a refund of charges to date. It worked for me anyhow. And avoid ringtone sites like boltblue.ie like the plague.

Check the comreg website, find out who the short code is registered to, send lots of letters, threaten them with comreg if they don't sort it out.

Just in case anyone else is reading this thread with similar issues - where the subscriber (to the ringtone/other service) is a minor, be sure and let the service provider know they cannot enter into a contract with a minor and demand a refund.

I have successfully done this twice (you'd think my daughter would learn!) and got €50 in one case and €70 in another - sent in cash strangely enough!

Just in case anyone else is reading this thread with similar issues - where the subscriber (to the ringtone/other service) is a minor, be sure and let the service provider know they cannot enter into a contract with a minor and demand a refund.

Hi Kildrought - I've had this problem with my daughter's phone - twice too! But the phone is registered in my name. Never got offered any refunds! Should I change it to her name? Thanks. G

If the phone is in your name you might not succeed - but there's no harm in trying.

I'd be inclined to have the phone in her name rather than yours, that way it's her responsbility. Supposing some smart-alec friend gets a notion to use her phone and send unsavoury txts/photos (it has happened) and the phone is registered to you? It's a bigger deal when it appears to be an adult sending stuff to a child, rather than child->child if you see what I mean.

A friend of mine had the same problem a while back. He didn't realise he'd subscribed to some ringtone service. I read one of the texts and replied "STOP" to the number. That was the last he heard from them.

This actually happened me but I hadnt realised it at the time. I got this phonecall one day from a company who said that there was an error in text messages that they had been sending out and i had been charged for them all, so would i like a refund or a donation to charity. He caught me on the hop because i was in work so i said donate it to Canteen charity but i never asked for anything to prove that it did get donated. Maybe they just kept the money!

I did check the 02 website after and i cuold see all the text messges that i was charged for. Keep an eye on your credit!

Is there not a conflict here with regards to the minor can't enter a contract thing ? I agree 100% that this concept seems to be a way to extract money from unwitting people (including children) and I regard it as stealing.

The conflict I see is that if a minor cannot enter into a contract (which makes sense) for SMS messages, how can they enter into a contract for the supply of mobile phone services from the carrier in the first instance ?

z

I did check the 02 website after and i cuold see all the text messges that i was charged for. Keep an eye on your credit!

Is there a place on the Vodafone website to do a similar check? I just can't find it

hi yachtie just logged into vodafone can't see view my usage (it is friday !) can you direct me, thanks

I know someone who inadvertantly signed up to Boltblue or something similar. She incurred about €30 in charges. A friend in 02 advised her to contact the company in question saying that the phone belonged to a child (<16 yrs) in which case all costs have to be refunded. It took about a month but they sent her a cheque covering all costs.