Nuisance Birds

DaithiMc2007

We recently installed limestone paving incl. ramp and steps to our front door but we are having a major problem at the moment with birds who are sitting on our full length gutter and using the limestone below as a target practice area for their droppings. This is very unsightly as it is the main entry to the house for any callers etc.

Anyone any advice as to how we could persuade the birds to stop sitting on the gutter?

Thanks

Birds of all shapes, sizes and well, we wont go there, have a habit of NESTING and they are creatures of habits (even bad habits) as I have found out! My biggest problem will be the swallows and housemartins who repeatedly come back to roost! although I have managed to confine them to the side of the house.

Anyway, try it and best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple way to manage this is to put a plastic bag in the vincinity of the area. The wind will 'rustle' the bag and the birds will move on to a quieter roost because of the noise of the bag!! Might put the birds off the habit of sitting there and leaving their signature!
Worked a treat for me.

It is possible to get an attachment for the gutters to stop birds "resting" on them, it's available from the pest control companies but I'm sure it's available from a good hardware store

If you wander around town you will probably notice many buildings with pigeon (and other bird) anti roosting spikes fitted on window ledges and eaves etc. Maybe this would be an option for a domestic property too?

Back