NTSC Region 2 DVD

pnh

Anyone any experience with these.I want a particular music DVD that I can only find on EBay USA.It is NTSC and Region 2.
My DVD is region free -now:) and manual says it will play NTSC but I wonder how the picture will look.Any idea?

should play fine, at the very worst it will be in black & white ... best bet would be to borrow a region 1 NTSC disc and try it first (If its region 2 then it should be PAL already)

Is your TV NTSC compatible? AFAIK the DVD Player and TV must be able to display NTSC.
If it does you should be OK. My TV displays NTSC and the only difference I can see between NTSC and PAL is very slightly blurred colour, like the colour is bleeding.
KK

yes DVD is region free and TV plays NTSC-I was just a little concerned about how the picture would be -dont much like the sound of colour bleeding:(

I have quite a few region 1, NTSC DVDs and the quality looks every bit as good as PAL.

okay Leo -thanks for that-if you say the quality is okay-I may take a chance on it-unfortunately the DVD I want has not been released in this region.

I wonder why they bother with this "region" stuff now when you can make most DVD players region free now-and equipment handles NTSC -doesnt make sense to me.
Thanks anyway

The studios still like to control the release schedules around the globe. Technically it's a breach of licensing for a manufacturer to make a multi-region player, Sony were sued a couple of years back for making it so easy on the first run of PS2s, later versions were modified.

may explain why a Sony DVD player I have cannot be made region free by coding-fortunately I have a DVD HDD/Player which I did quite easily-I think the Sony ones have to be re-chipped.

pnh said:
Anyone any experience with these.I want a particular music DVD that I can only find on EBay USA.It is NTSC and Region 1.
My DVD is region free -now:) and manual says it will play NTSC but I wonder how the picture will look.Any idea?

NTSC has fewer scan lines than PAL so may look slightly inferior in quality. However, you are unlikely to notice. On an LCD or Plasma TV, the image is upscaled to fit the resolution of the display anyway.

Presumably, on a music video, you won't be analysing every single frame for quality anyway. :)

Some music DVDs are in fact Region 0 as in they will play on all regions - although the video (picture) may be PAL or NTSC depending on where it is issued.

No the Ebay listing definitely states Region 1 and NTSC-however from both your comments it seems I should not have a problem-so perhaps I will give it a go.Thanks

pnh said:
may explain why a Sony DVD player I have cannot be made region free by coding-fortunately I have a DVD HDD/Player which I did quite easily-I think the Sony ones have to be re-chipped.

AFAIK the reason Sony dvd players make their players hard to region hack is due to the fact there are also in the movie business and want to control their own releases globaly too

Yes-but now that I know this I doubt I would buy Sony again if I needed a
new DVD player-and I doubt I am the only one-worldwide- who feels like that.
I seem to remember reading something where they also were putting some kind of code onto CDs to stop people copying them even though they were bought legit.I am against piracy but that kind of "control" annoys me:mad:

Back