Ntsc Dvd

LexLuthor

Hi there -

I want to buy an american DVD for my brother. The DVD is billed as being region free, and is NTSC.

What do I need to check in his system to ensure it will play it? - that both the DVD player AND the TV are NTSC compatible?

Ta

Hi there -

I want to buy an american DVD for my brother. The DVD is billed as being region free, and is NTSC.

What do I need to check in his system to ensure it will play it? - that both the DVD player AND the TV are NTSC compatible?

Ta

Normally, he will need a DVD player that players Region 1 discs or is multi-region. However, as the disc is Region free, then this is not an issue in this case.

Most European PAL DVD players will also play NTSC DVDs. (The converse is not necessarily true for US DVD players though.)

Then, he will need a TV that accepts NTSC input.

Assuming your brother lives in Ireland/UK/Europe, then most DVD players will play NTSC video but may not play Region 1 due to region coding.

Most anyway-recent PAL TVs sold in Europe accept an NTSC input. (This is the short answer - for a more complete discussion including the 50Hz / 60 Hz issue, see Wikipedia.)

(Again, the converse is not necessarily true in the US - Americans don't realise that not everyone uses NTSC.)

Back