NTSC Dvd

BlueSpud

I bought an original NTSC version of "Nobody's Fool" because I could not get a PAL one. I am now looking for someone/someway to make a PAL copy of this so that I can watch it on my PAL DVD player. Any pointers?

Looks promising, will give it a bash over the w/e & see how I get on. Thanks.

ClubMan said:
Does the license/copyright allow copying? If so perhaps DVDShrink is what you want?

Ah This post will be deleted if not edited immediately in fairness now....prosecute everyone whos ever copied a cd/lp/cassette and hence broken copyright and you'll be prosecuting 85%+ of the population.

I think the question was rhetorical, and the link helpfully provided w/o in any way endorsing illegal activities!

Another way around the problem (with no copying required) could be to make your DVD player region-free? Google for "Brand + model no. + region-free + hack" (without the quotation marks)...

I would have thought that the problem here was not the region code but the NTSC encoding of the content?

I thought a lot of the newer TVs could also handle NTSC output? Maybe not...?

If that's the case, your original solution is the way to go.

DrMoriarty said:
I thought a lot of the newer TVs could also handle NTSC output? Maybe not...?

If that's the case, your original solution is the way to go.

No, the problem is the region coding. The disk is Region 1 and encoded as NTSC, but pretty much all modern TVs will playback NTSC, the issue is the region encoding.

If the DVD is not a mainstream make such as Philips, Sony etc., it is likely that the region encoding can be turned off via a software hack.

There is a software hack, but I need a specific "All 4 One" remote to do it, model URC-7562. Great if I could borrow one but I will not buy one just for one DVD, much & all as I like the movie.

I did download a trial version of the s/w, clubman, there is a 30 trial and I managed to get a black & white copy of the movie. I will try the video settings on the DVD player this pm to see if I can get colour.

BlueSpud said:
I did download a trial version of the s/w, clubman, there is a 30 trial and I managed to get a black & white copy of the movie.
Eh? DVDShrink is [broken link removed] so I'm not sure what you're talking about above! If you're talking about something like Nero for burning CDs/DVDs then you could always try the (again free) Burnatonce.

Note that TVs/VCRs that are not fully NTSC compatible may display NTSC signals without colour or with additional interference so the problem here might be the NTSC encoding of the move rather than the region coding or the copy settings. I'm not sure if DVDShrink or other utilities can convert NTSC encoded content to PAL?

Clubman, on Friday there was a link deom the DVD Shrink site to this site
http://www.dvdidle.net whete I downloaded a trial version of "DVD Region+CSS Free". Worked to some degree, got a DVD that played black & white and wrong aspect. Did not get much time to push it further, but at least I have something to watch.

You must have clicked on on of the Google ads or other external links presented on the site. DVDShrink itself is free.

ClubMan said:
You must have clicked on on of the Google ads or other external links presented on the site. DVDShrink itself is free.

Yes, I browsed to the DVDIDLE link at the top of the intro page.

I will try DVDShrink this evening.

I used DVDShrink last night & got the same results, in that the resultant movie is black & white. I was lulled into a false sence of security though as when DVDShrink was analysing the movie, it showed in colour on the progress screen in DVDShrink. Ah well, the movie in question does not lose much cos of lack of colour. Thanks for the pointers, I like the re-authoring in SVDShrink, where you can chop off the uninteresting beginning & end pieces.

I suspect that the problem above is that your player and/or TV are not 100% compatible with NTSC. As I said it's common in such circumstances for NTSC encoded content to display in B&W and/or with interference. I suspect that what you need is some way of converting the content from NTSC to PAL (no idea if that's possible) or to buy equipment that can cope with both PAL and NTSC. Might be cheaper to just buy a new DVD.

Once nice thing about DVDShrink and the like is that it gets rid of the Macrovision signal which means that copied DVDs can be played through on a DVD daisychained through a VCR to the TV (e.g. because the stereo or surround sound system is hooked up to the VCR) without that really annoying and pointless (since the whole purpose is supposedly to prevent copying from DVD but it just encourages it in my view) Macrovision interference (blinking light and dark and poor colour reproduction).