NTL MMDS Digital Offer

D

delgirl

Does anyone have NTL's MMDS Digital TV? Is it reliable and would you recommend it?

They're offering this service in the Wicklow area with free installation.

Looked into this before-think you are getting poor value compared to cable digital customers, and it's the same fee for each room (€30 each I think). If you can get it, I would tend to opt for Sky (unless you are in an apartment, or can't live without utv or ch4). Also, MMDS requires and aerial, so if you are not permitted to erect a dish, you probably won't be able to get an aerial.

NTL MMDS

You hit the nail on the head - we can't live without UTV and Channel 4!

We have Sky and Cable TV from Chorus at the moment - there's never a month goes by without problems with the cable - fuzzy pictures, no signal at all sometimes for a week!

Our Sky dish just got knocked out of line in a storm recently and we thought it might be a good time to change.

The NTL MMDS would work out cheaper than the Sky and Chorus combined, but I'm just worried about the reliability. If the cable went, we have always had Sky to fall back on.

Is it possible to get Channel 4 (not S4C) and UTV on a normal aerial? If so, we might get an aeriel, keep Sky and ditch the Chorus cable.

Re: NTL MMDS

We have NTL MMDS. Picture reliability has improved greatly for us over the past year. Plenty of channels for our purposes. Cost of multi-room viewing has greatly reduced.

Not much on offer by way of the "digital experience" though - basic features like a programme guide and reminders but none of the interactive stuff that you get wth Sky ("press the red button now"). Not sure that that's any great loss, mind you.

Unless they've improved a lot over the past year, customer service is absolute muck. There have been numerous threads on this particular aspect of their business model on here.

Is it possible to get Channel 4 (not S4C) and UTV on a normal aerial?

That really depends on where you live, the closer to N.I. the better.

One way for you to ditch cable and keep sky, yet still get itv/ch4 might be to look into getting freeview card? I know someone who has one and I'll ask what's the deal. I know he can get ITV2.

Thanks CCOVICH - see the 'freeview' thread Dr Moriarty has suggested this too along with the Sky card for Channel 4 and ITV and I think it's a very good option.

I found a £20 Sky free-to-view card on eBay, but when I e-mailed the guy to ask him if he would send to ROI (ad stated UK only) his words were "i dont actually send u the card i tell u where u can get it from for £20".

I'm not sure what the deal is - seems you have to pay £20 for the info only? Not sure - I e-mailed to ask exactly what he meant, but he didn't respond!

Have a friend in the North who is going to get one for me, think it's safer that way.

Good call-I'd go with Sky (if I could) over NTL anytime. If you know someone who can get the card for you all the better.

Back