NTL list of channels available.

IsleOfMan

My elderly father has analogue T.V. provided by NTL. He wants to get Sky Sports but is not interested in any other channels. Can he get Sky Sports added to his basic T.V. package or can anyone tell me what "package" he has to upgrade to? Also his T.V. is about 10 years old. Will he have to scrap this T.V. and purchase a digital T.V.? Can you tell by looking at a T.V. if it is capable of receiving digital or not?
We are looking for the simplest solution. From what he says he is receiving vey poor reception for BBC2 and Channel 4 and despite ringing NTL several times about this, nobody from NTL will call to his house to check what is causing the problem. It now appears NTL will call to upgrade his system to digital?

He'll need to sign up for digital TV and their Sports Pack.

The signal is digital into the NTL box but analogue on the connection out to the TV so the old TV will work.

Digital TV has much better reception becomes it uses Forward Error Correction to mask interference problems.

I'm far from an expert in these matters but in my experience ntl will upgrade anyone who is still on the old analogue for free or a nominal amount. His TV will be fine and he can just get the Sky Sports package on top of his Ntl basic package. One phonecall and ntl will sort it out in a matter of days. From my recollection the choice of channels is vastly improved from the old system. Their poor customer service however is well documented but for a new digital customer they should act fairly promptly.