NTL "Go Digital" pack.

B

biggerry

NTL "Go Digital" pack.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but I need a little help here.

I'm an NTL customer and subscribe to their basic TV package ([broken link removed] I got a flyer through the door about their €10 per month "Go Digital" pack which I'm interested in. ([broken link removed]

Like most people I know, I'm only paying for 1 "point" but have a couple more throughout the house.

Can anybody explain what's involved in installing the "Go Digital" pack?

You retain your basic TV package and then they come out and split your TV point so that you still have your existing point and then take the other split and put it into a digital signal decoder. That's about it.

Don't forget the €25 connection fee.

Like most people I know, I'm only paying for 1 "point" but have a couple more throughout the house.

If you get your cabling sorted out, you could watch the NTL Digital feed over those "couple more" points. NTL advise against it and, in my case, offered a spurious and risible reason for not doing so but we've had it working that way since they started the service without issue.

You are, of course, limited to watching one digital channel at a time.

broadband

From NTL's website:

"Multi Room Viewing:
With ntl's multi-room viewing option, we realise that one programme does not suit everyone. If you have more than one tv in the house, then multi room viewing from ntl allows you to watch digital tv in one room and any of your normal 17 channels from the Basic TV pack in another. "

what crap!
Making the disadvantages of digital signals i.e not being able to watch one digital channel while recording another digital channel, sound like a Feature!

What will happen when and if Analog goes and people realise they can't perform the usual tasks they could with analog - or will we all have multi digi boxes?

Re: broadband

fiver a month for additional boxes at the moment. that's not bad.

extra boxes

Fiver a month, 60 a year - sounds cheap, but we're still effectively being asked to pay for something we didn't have to pay for with Analog.

Re: extra boxes

Fiver a month, 60 a year - sounds cheap, but we're still effectively being asked to pay for something we didn't have to pay for with Analog.

True, but then you are getting a digital decoder for your money.

Integrated Digital TVs are not available in Ireland due to the lack of terrestrial digital TV, so you need to buy a digital decoder, PACE box or whatever.

Much as I hate spending money I don'tt need to, a fiver a month sounds ok to me for this service, especially since they have reduced slightly the cost of the digital service itself.

Personally, I wish they would hurry up and launch their Hard Disk Recorder in the UK and Ireland. That would be worth buying, rather than renting decoder boxes with llimited functionality forever.

You can still use analog for free on your additional outlets.

Re: NTL "Go Digital" pack.

I have NTL Digital and also the basic package.
The basic package is the 15 Analog channels. The NTL Digital has about 80 - 100 channels.
I noticed that NTL Digital has all the stations that the basic package has.

Therefore could I just get 2 Decoders and get rid of the basic package.

Why should you pay for a basic package when it is already included in the Digital Package?

Another thing I have noticed with the Digital TV, the sound is not that good.

The digital package is an add-on. You can't buy it without the analog (basic) package. All cable companies do this, they call it "tiering."

Bad sound? That's interesting. My NTL digital sound is excellent. Do you keep the volume at around 8 on the digital signal?

Some of the digital-only channels are highly compressed and have pretty ropey sound alright, but sound on the main channels should be very good (I'm fussy about sound too, by the way!)

I signed up for this and NTL came installed it this time. As I said previously, I have a couple of other points in the house, and the signal that's being sent to TV that i wanted the digital on is too weak, so he had to install it on another TV.

I believe there's some sort of a sender that can be used to transmit the signal from the tv that has the digital box to the TV that I watch at night time.

Can anybody shed some light on this i.e. what is it called, how much it costs, is it easy to set up, where I can get one of these?

Thanks again!

WE have the NTL Digital pack for viewing in the living room. It is hooked into our video recorder. We also have the TV signal transmitters that you can buy in argos hooked into the VR so that any signal going into it (analogue or digital) can be sent to other tvs in the house. This way we can watch one channel in the Living room and the kids can watch another in their playroom.

The drawback is only one Digital channel can be viewed thoughout the house at any one time.

C

Thanks capaill.

Can you remember what the TV signal transmitter is called and how much it cost approx?

what the TV signal transmitter is called and how much it cost approx?

I bought one in LIDL for €50, about 2 weeks before they were on sale in ALDI for €40. They're also on sale in ARGOS and called, IIRC, AEI Digisender.

Suffice is to say the ARGOS ones more expensive that €50.

Hi TarfHead,

I purchased the DG200 DigiSender in Argos (Price €124.99). Took it home, read the manaul and there on page 10 it said "NTL and Telewest customers may require the DigiEye upgrade" GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Had another look at the Argos catalog and on page 189 there's an AV sender that states that it works with NTL and Telwest. This is €44.99. Here's the link to it:

Is this what you're talking about?