ntl digital tv freezing

rob30

I have had an ongoing problem of my NTL digital tv freezing for around 10 seconds, once or twice and hour.
I have bought a new TV and it still occurs. I have tried plugging out my decoder, removing the card and leaving it off for 5 minutes.
I must admit, I do not have a TV stand so my dvd player and TV are on top of it.
Can this be attributed to heat alone or is a different problem?

This was happening us all the time with an older NTL decoder, at times programmes would be unwatchable (they'd either freeze or be kinda jerky), so we finally rang them about it. At first they just told us to restart the decoder but when that didn't work they finally gave in and sent a guy out with a new decoder. It's generally been fine, although occasionally it freezes just when the the crime is about to be cracked on Forensic Detectives I doubt it has anything to do with your TV/DVD set-up, I'd guess it'd just a gammy decoder - give them a ring (if you can get through) and ask for a new one.

Happened in my old & new houses...

In the old house it was due to a signal booster that was used to boost the signal around the house. The signal was too strong for the decoder, which occasionally froze. Do you use a signal booster?

In the new house it was because the signal was too weak. The cabling was quite old and in particular, the connections to the cabelling weren't done very securely. I fixed it myself (after much frustration with the really, really, really poor NTL support), and it's working fine now...

I would be pretty certain it is not your equipment.I have had NTL digital for several years and that "picture freeze" problem is one that has dogged this service from day one virtually.
I have over the years taken the matter up with NTL and the service guys have always said it is a "software" problem which they use with their compression system.They always seem to be able to rectify it-externally-however.It does re-occur however from time to time.
Beats me why they have failed to solve it completely-maybe it would cost them too much.
Complain-as I have done many times-and look for a credit-I have managed to get several-but of course all I-and u- want is a glitch free service

Was having the same problem during a recent Man Utd match....Not sure what was most annoying, the freezing or the ease at which Man Utd were winning...Anyway, as I had been tinkering with things I reckoned I had pinched a cable so I switched to another decoder (one that uses a screw to male cable) and everything seemed to be fine....Strange thing is that the other stb has had the odd fre...fr....free....freeze......and now I'm not so sure....

Was having the same problem during a recent Man Utd match....Not sure what was most annoying, the freezing or the ease at which Man Utd were winning

That wasn't your picture freezing, that was Ronaldo diving in installments.