NTL cable digital or Sky digital

philboy

Hi all,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but with all the latest developments regarding Sky acquiring channel 4, NTL price hikes etc... I'm looking for some up-to-date opinions on which of the above is the best value for money/best service. The requirements i have is the following:
- if buying NTL, choosing the go digital select package (maybe the season ticket for the premiership)
- if buying sky, just want to get the basic digital package (no sports or movies)
- Also, its an apartment & i want multi-room viewing in one of the rooms.

Other info:
- the apartment is already wired for NTL

Thanks.

EDIT: i posted in wrong forum by accident, needs to be moved to the "Phones, DVDs, TVs, Audio/Visual" forum.

Get NTL, then you have the option of there broadband which is better than anyones else in terms of price and performace, plus they don't stinfg you for exceeding your limit.

Moved. As you're in an apartment, you may not be allowed put up a satellite dish, check the management company terms. This might make the decision for you.
Leo

There is a good chance that Sky will offer broadband at some stage in the future.

As Leo said, if it is an apartment Sky may not be an option.

Having had both, I would always go for Sky+.

It is for my Dad & he won't ever use the internet so that won't affect the decision. I heard about some apartments not allowing satellite dishes, even though this is a new apartment development, i don't see any dishes as of yet!!

I got him a HD recorder/dvd player so i dont think there would be any need for the Sky+.

Sounds like NTL would be the way to go for him, possibly the only way to go since he is in an apartment?? Does Sky digital require a Sat dish or is there some other way of receiving it?

Don't think basic Sky works very well a HD Recorder and in order to record off different channels while watching another requires the Sky+ subscription, this along with the multiroom makes Sky the much more expensive option in this case.

Although not perfect, as nothing ever is, I'd go with ntl, 17 analogue channels for the HD Recorder and multiroom and then a comprehensive enough selection of digital channels for a bit extra. Ntl (or UPC as they now are) have plans for their own Sky+ type of service this year as well.

Sky is almost certainly a non-runner if it is a new apartment.

Agree totally, if the building has been wired for NTL (ie; Double screened Co-Ax) The developer/management company will not want individual dishes going up.....

to get hooked up to sky digital do you have to have a telephone line or will they hook it up for you without connecting up to the telephone line

to get hooked up to sky digital do you have to have a telephone line or will they hook it up for you without connecting up to the telephone line

If you want multiroom, Sky+ or HD then yes, it has to be connected. For standard Sky, I think there is now the option of paying a once-off fee not to connect, or else you can just disconnect (I don't think they callback on standalone standard boxes) yourself after installation.

I had NTL for several years until December 5th last. A neighbour then called NTL to be connected and I reckon the technician cut our cable in the process. After approx 18 phonecalls and 5 weeks I finally gave up and move to Sky - installed Saturday 13th Jan.

NTL is fine as long as it works and at least you don't have a dish. Just be warned in terms of customer service thay are about as bad as it gets. I was paying NTL €59 per 2 months for basic digital and found Sky cheaper also at €52 (4 channel mix).

NTL is fine as long as it works and at least you don't have a dish. Just be warned in terms of customer service thay are about as bad as it gets.

You know what they say NTL stands for, 'Not Today Lads'.

Is Sky more expensive for multi-rooms?