NTL Broadband

Keizer Soze

Just got NTL broadband installed this morning.

I'd like to shre this connection over a wireless network.

Can somebody please point me in the direction of a wireless router for a cable modem that is easy to set up.

Has anyone on here done this before???

Any of the wireless routers will do if youre wireless adaptor will connect to them. I put a http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=br_ss_hs/104-6666798-1075920?search-alias=aps&keywords=linksys%20wrt54g (linksys wrt54g) through mine and never had a problem with it. Im a bit techie so setup was a cinch, but I know others whove got this model and have commented on how easy it was to set up.

i wouldnt pay anything more then 80-90 euro for something decent and you could go as low as 55-60 for something but the linksys is the one i have and am happy with it.

should be available in most online pc stores. i have the earlier version but that speed bosster one looks interesting if you want to pay the extra. try elara.ie for same

I've found the Linksys WRT54G easy enough to set up particularly compared to some other models. You can probably get cheaper models but the Linksys is a good bet. Just one thing to bear in mind is that you may want to think about getting a router with whatever VoIP capabilities are in vogue these days (I'm not up to speed on this stuff at the moment) if you eventually decide to ditch the landline (if any) and use the likes of Skype or Blueface for calls.

Top tip: If anyone's getting NTL installed, move your PC to the other end of the house and NTL will provide a wireless router and adapter. Or tell them you move the laptop around the house.

when did they start that? I asked them did they supply one when getting NTL BB 18 mtnhs ago and they said not only do they not supply one, they would be within their rights to stop supplying me with BB if they find out I get a wireless router as they classified a wireless network as "business use" instead of "home use". complete tosh of course, I must have got their IT manager on the line that day.
I think it was just they wanted to discourage neighourhood sharing. See my first post above to discover what my next course of action was.

The chaps and chapettes over on the Broadband forum on boards.ie have come to that conclusion over the past few weeks.

car said:
Any of the wireless routers will do if youre wireless adaptor will i have the earlier version but that speed bosster one looks interesting if you want to pay the extra. try elara.ie for same

Elara are in Liquidation

NTL BB not available in Coolock & they said it wont be until another 6 mths so a long wait for me :confused:

ClubMan said:
I've found the Linksys WRT54G easy enough to set up particularly compared to some other models. You can probably get cheaper models but the Linksys is a good bet. Just one thing to bear in mind is that you may want to think about getting a router with whatever VoIP capabilities are in vogue these days (I'm not up to speed on this stuff at the moment) if you eventually decide to ditch the landline (if any) and use the likes of Skype or Blueface for calls.

The WRT54GP2 seems to be pretty similar to that router but with 2 built in VOIP phone ports as well. I have the WRT54G myself which is fine but if I was buying now I would probably get the one with the 2 VOIP ports and cut out my seperate ATA.

Thanks for your help.

Went to Maplin in Blanchardstown today to get the linksys wrt54g and they saved me €50 by recommending this one

[broken link removed]

Addon wbr9200

Probably too late, but I would have got the linkyssy with the two port ata for voip also. (Actually I have one). Little more pricey, but you will save yourself 300 quid in one year alone by not having to pay line rental to eircom. You can get one from [broken link removed] Highly recommended from my point of view, which is based solely on my own expereince over the last couple of months. I have managed to ditch eircom in every way, inluding line rental, keep my h ome phone and phone number and have BB, all for the cost of 40 yoyos pm.

Wexfordman

Back