NTL Broadband set up

S

SteelBlue05

Hi,
I have NTL Broadband. But I got a new laptop and I dont have the settings set up in Internet Explorer correctly. Therefore nothing happens when I connect in the NTL router thing.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get it working again, I think I need to set up some IP addresses in the connections properties of Internet Explorer or something?

Have tried ringing them but couldnt get through to the right person, I really hate them anyways, very difficult company to deal with.

Thanks
S

The last time I changed computer it was just a case of plugging in the modem cable and as far as I remember it automatically found a new connection.

Best advice is to wait for Clubman to see this thread and give a 2 page reply!

Could it be that Internet Explorer just isin't looking for the connection?

Open Control Panel.
Double-click Internet Options.
Click on the tab "Connections" to bring it to the front.
Check Never dial a connection.
Click on button LAN Settings...
Automatically detect settings
UNcheck Use automatic configuration script.
UNcheck Use a proxy server (unless you want an explicit setting).
Click OK to exit Local Area Network settings.
Click OK to exit Internet Options.

I took above from somewhere - think the important part is never dial a connection..

When we needed to get the IP address for the router it was as far as I'm aware just a question of going to the DELL site and getting it from there. It was a friend who sorted it out for us so sorry I can't be of much help.

SteelBlue05 said:
Hi,
nothing happens when I connect in the NTL router thing.
S

Is it a router or the cable modem? If it is a router attached to a cable modem, what make/model is your router? Can you connect to the router from the laptop as per the routers instruction manual?

Normally Internet Explorer will automatically find settings, you shouldn't really have to manually enter them. However if you still have your old PC can you compare the settings on it agains't the new laptop?

Click start > run > cmd

This will open a dos prompt. Type "ipconfig",

You should get something like this.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

If the above numbers are all zeros (0s) then it means you havent got an IP address which you need. firstly try running "ipconfig /refresh" at the dos prompt to see if that gets you an address, if it doesnt then try and reboot the router, then try the ipconfig again. If this doesnt work, ring NTL support, theyve been very (refreshingly)prompt whenever Ive rang them.
If you do have an IP address similar to above then theres something else stopping you connecting, so again, contact support.

thanks for all the responses, I'll give it a go this evening. (Its an NTL Cable modem by the way, sorry, couldnt remember what you called them things)

There's a readme file they usually leave on your desktop. They supplied me with a CD and USB cable for my laptop as an alternative to the Ethernet connection (looks like a big phone connection) used for Cable Modem. Haven't reid it yet though.

mmclo said:
There's a readme file they usually leave on your desktop. They supplied me with a CD and USB cable for my laptop as an alternative to the Ethernet connection (looks like a big phone connection) used for Cable Modem. Haven't reid it yet though.

Well, thats part of the problem, I dont have my old PC anymore so dont have the readme file either. Didnt get a chance to see if I could get it working yet, will try at the weekend.

Call NTL 1800 321 321 (I think), they'll talk you through it. I've had to do this in the past when I had to format my hard drive unexpectedly. They may have to send you a disk as part of it, which they never left with me when they set it up originally!!