NTL Broadband Issue - Am I alone ?

darraghdog

Hi Folks,

I have not been able to connect to NTL broadband for the past two months. NTL say it is not finding an IP address, and it is a supplier problem; however the sppliers said it's an NT problem. It's driving me nuts, as I have late work meetings which i need to do from home.

Is anybody having similar issues with NTL ?

Thanks,
Darragh

never had a problem myself. I'm lost as to what NTL mean by saying "it is not finding an IP address" - what is "it"? supplier of what? who are the suppliers?

Sorry,I meant the suppliers of the laptop. Where I got it - which in my case would be my employer

darraghdog said:
however the sppliers said it's an NT problem.
Do you mean (Windows) NT or NTL?

Did your laptop ever work with your broadband setup? If so what changed between then and when it stopped working?

If your employer supplied it then can their IT people not help diagnose and solve the problem?

Yes, it worked until 6 weeks ago and then it stopped. It's quite difficult because, it is the grey area between is it a PC issue (my PC worked off a wireless LAN recently in a hotel room) or is it NTL. My guess is it's NTL... jsut wanted to check if this is happening to anyone else.

Something must have changed 6 weeks ago so. Do you know what? Did you install or reconfigure anything?

You don't say if you are trying to connect wirelessly or by cable. I assume you have checked the obvious of the broadband account that is the default one set on your PC. Perhaps when you connected to the hotel LAN it changed the settings...

Can you access the NTL router admin page according to the instructions that NTL would have given you they set you up? Its usually accessed by typing http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar in your browser. Enter your username and password, then go to the status page and see if the router is getting an IP. If it does then its your laptop as the router has its config. If the router doesnt have an IP then Id say the blame lies with NTL. If you cant access the router then it sounds like a cabling issue.

If the router does have a config, does your laptop have a proxy setting for your job? If it does you'll need to turn it off when accessing your home network. In IE its under tools > Internet options > connections > LAN settings and click on auto detect and make sure the other settings arent ticked.

Just got NTL installed this morning, it doesnt work, seems like the same issue as you had. Apparently the cable is working and the modem is working but my laptop is not "seeing" the IP address of the modem that is connected to the laptop.

Instead some autoconfiguration IP address of 192.etc.etc.etc is showing up. The installation guy, who in fairness tried everything he knew, said the laptop needs to pick up this IP Address of the modem (it would be something like 80.0.0.0 or somehting). Until then there is nothing he could do.

Anyone any ideas on what I need to do to get this fixed?

(Assuming non-98/Me) Open a command prompt (Start/Run.../cmd) and type ipconfig. Tell us what you get on the 'IP address' line.

Try to ping 192.168.1.100. This is the 'internal' IP address of the NTL modem. Tell us what happens.

Try an ipconfig /release and then an ipconfig /renew from a dos prompt whilst connected to the NTL modem.
Either way post the result of the ipconfig output here

Fixed it. After searching on the web I found a very easy solution . I would have thought the installation guy would have known this..

All you have to do is turn on the modem, leave it on for about 2 minutes (even after the READY light is on give it another bit of time for the other lights to flicker). Then plug in the ethernet cable into your laptop\PC and then turn on the laptop\PC. It will pick up the IP address of the modem no problem.

I found that you only have to do this the first time after installation, subsequent times it picks it up no problem.

Some other things that you need to set on your laptop\pc also are:
1: Make sure the DHCP service is running in your "Services" in Control Panel
2: LAN settings in Internet Explorer to be set to "Automatically detect settings"
3: The properties of the LAN Connection in Network Connections should be set to "automatically detect IP Address".

S

I've been having very similar problems with NTL bb the past week. It was running perfectly for a month but now I'm having big problems.

The only thing listed above I haven't checked yet is the DHCP service is runninng on startup. The network connection is set to DHCP enabled and the all relevant settings are set to automatically detect IP address.

I was getting a 192.* address (even after I removed my wireless router from the loop), and then last night I disabled and re-enabled the LAN connection and I now get a 169.* address.

Any ideas cos this is driving me nuts and I'm working 16 hour days so have very little time to look into it? Thanks

192.* addresses sound like non routeable ones allocated by a DHCP server (most likely in your router). If I recall correctly 169.* ones may be ones allocated by the PC itself once it doesn't find a DHCP server. Note that I am talking about an internal DHCP server on your LAN here and not the DHCP server that your cable modem/router may contact in ntl:. You probably need to call ntl: support to get assistance with this to be honest especially if you don't have the time to troubleshoot/investigate this for yourself with assistance from people here.

OhPinchy said:
I've been having very similar problems with NTL bb the past week. It was running perfectly for a month but now I'm having big problems.

The only thing listed above I haven't checked yet is the DHCP service is runninng on startup. The network connection is set to DHCP enabled and the all relevant settings are set to automatically detect IP address.

I was getting a 192.* address (even after I removed my wireless router from the loop), and then last night I disabled and re-enabled the LAN connection and I now get a 169.* address.

Any ideas cos this is driving me nuts and I'm working 16 hour days so have very little time to look into it? Thanks

Exact same problem I had. Assuming your DHCP service is running on start up just try turning on the modem for about 2-3 mins before plugging in the ethernet cable into your PC and turning on your PC.

Even after the "RDY" light is on on the modem gave it another bit of time for the other lights to flash before turning on the PC. That worked for me anyways.

Thanks Clubman & SteelBlue,

I'll try the proposed solution (fingers crossed) and will be onto NTL straight after if it doesnt work out. I'll make some time to look at it tonight or tomorrow and post back with an update.

At least come back and tell us what the output of ipconfig was and also try pinging the modem from your machine (ping 192.168.100.1).

I left the PC and cable modem (connected directly to the PC and not via the router) on all day while at work on Friday. I rang NTL on Friday at 7.45pm - first chance I got. I was told they were finished for the night (previously told the closed at 8pm) but a guy rang me back at 8.15pm which I was impressed with.

He basically listed much of the stuff below to try to shake the 169.* ip address. He told me that my most recent IP address was obtained that morning at 10am, and the previous one to that was 4 days previously. Rang girlfriend to check PC and of course it was back working so we can't diagnose what the problem was, which I'd like to know in case it happens again.

So that just leaves me with a separate issue - if I connect my Linksys Wireless Router it can't pick up the Internet connection, but that's another day/thread's problem I guess!

Back