NTL Broadband in Dublin 3 area?

Effie

I currently have Irish Broadband and am contemplating switching to NTL Broadband as I am using their Digital service for my TV .

Does anyone know how good the NTL BB service is in this area? The cable was the original 'Cablelink' TV cable laid over 30 years ago which makes me think it mightn't be up to the job.

Anyone??

The cable was the original 'Cablelink' TV cable laid over 30 years ago

30 years ago it was Marlin Communal Aerials cable in D3. I still remember the thrill of seeing their red van on the road and running home to see if we had 'pipe telly' yet :).

Ah the nostalgia...

Don't think NTL is available in D3 (or at least my end of it). I'd suggest you ring their customer service line but, yes, I know you proabably don't have all day. :)

"Communal Aerials" - sounds a bit cultish these days doesn't it?

Who remembers the dual mode 405/635 line TV sets with the rotary dial mode/channel changer that invariably broke and required you to keep a pliers nearby for changing channel! Didn't do us any harm, blah, blah, blah.... :)

It will have to be the HFC cable...for return path purposes....If it hasn't been upgraded I reckon you're snookered !

Well folks, I did ring NTL as you suggested and seemingly, the broadband is on it's way but they still have some upgrading to do before I can look forward to a better and more reliable server than I am currenly using.

Seemingly we are still on a single pathway and it needs to be dual as you folks have just told me. Thanks for all your input folks and glad to be able to give you the opertunity to remmenis!!

Well folks, I did ring NTL as you suggested and seemingly, the broadband is on it's way but they still have some upgrading to do before I can look forward to a better and more reliable server than I am currenly using.
Yeah - they've been saying that for 5 years or more for parts of the city! :rolleyes:

All the other major broadband services are available in D3 of course, don't know why you'd consider NTL. We're with eSat at the moment, formerly were with eircom. Both services excellent in terms of speed and reliability.

I don't want to keep on using the landline as using Voip is far cheaper and as soon as I got a dependable and reliable server, I will happily stop using Eircom for good.

Other wireless broadbands use the same mast that I get my current signal from and a wireless signal is still a wireless signal and subject to loss of signal in high winds etc irrespective of which service provider you go with.

I'm fed up of losing my signal when the weather gets bad and on Bank Holiday weekends, the sevice frequently is lost for hours if not for days. At least with a fixed NTL line once in operation, that hopefully shouldn't be an issue .

Don't laugh but does anyone know if NTL plan to extend their Broadband service to the midlands or will it have to wait until the next FF leader upgrades his home county like Albert did for Longford?
The only non Eircom provider I've found so far is a company called Dotser that have a group wireless scheme.

I've waited several years without success for them to extend their BB services to the D1 end of D7 so good luck with getting it in the midlands!

I've waited several years without success for them to extend their BB services to the D1 end of D7 so good luck with getting it in the midlands!

I registered with them anyway just in case. Offaly is so badly served - even Portlaoise has Digiweb Metro and we've considered ourselves the better of the two counties since we started walking around on two legs back in the Seventies. Our turn to be jealous now...

Back