NTL BB Wireless Possible?

peno

I currently have a PC at home which is connected to the BB with NTL. ITHe PC is old and needs replacing so I'm going to get a laptop. The NTL is not wireless but my question is whether it is possible to get a router or adaptor to transform the fixed NTL modem into a wireles one to hook up with the laptop.

My sister in law has wireless from NTL just need to get a wireless router from them. we have eircom wireless and it's great. make sure new laptop has wireless card in it

Hi,

You'll just need a wireless cable router. These are about 70-90 euro and you can generally get them in Argos, Peats Electronics, Curry's, Dixons etc.

Main thing you want is to ensure it takes cable (ethernet) input and not ADSL (i.e. phone line). The router takes its input from your current cable box that is now connected directly to your PC.

Somehthing like this would do:

c.

I got a netgear wgr613 on ebay from a canadian seller(telling you this becasue he is selling loads of them) for about eur 60. Its the one advertised on the bluface.ie website for about eur120. One thing though, the power supply he includes is not all you need. I think you can use the 3 pin plug from your computer monitor to connect to his power supply. I just used an old laptop power cord i had.

very easy to set up with wirelss and works a treat!

Hi Peno

I have just bought a new laptop and want to do exactly what you were doing / or maybe have by now as described in your original post. Would love to know what route you took and if you got everything working?

Thanks
C

You will find a wireless router and adapter on Komplett [broken link removed]

I did this at home.

Easy to setup. (Except when trying to make it secure). If you haven't got the broadband connection yet you can get them to set up a wireless network.