NTL and Netgear wireless connection

F

fustydor

I'm a bit puzzled at the answer I received from NTL for my broadband connection being down. My OH got through to the tech support and they send a tech out to our house. We have a Netgear router that was provided by NTL. Over the last few weeks we have not been able to access the broadband either through WLAN or LAN. The computer indicates that the signal from the router is strong but there's no information coming through so I assumed the issue to be with the network being down in our area. The tech took one look at the thing and said that the issue was the wireless and that we would have to use a hard connection. He also said that because the cable was connected to the same output link as the television it would impact the availability of the network. His solution is to hard wire our computer and not have a WLAN and he's forwarding our call to another team so that they can route a cable from the street to our computer. I'd rather be wireless tbh. Has anybody had the same issue and is there a different explanation for what is happening?

Hi, I had the exact same problem last week.

I rang NTL - someone from Tech Support was supposed to ring me - needless to say they didn't.

I messed around with the TCP/IP properties (I tried the dns provided with the modem help cd - which didn't so I reverted back the original settings) and restarted to see if it would work and hey presto.

Sorry this isn't a more technical answer.

Back