NPPR on apartment I just took ownership of?

irishbogger

Hi folks,
I've just acquired an apartment that i'll be living in myself for the next while, so no worry of NPPR charge.

However, I have a suspicion that the NPPR has not been paid for the past 2 years by the last owner.

My basic question is: Am I liable for the previous owners NPPR charge if they did infact not pay it?

It would not be possible to sell the property if there was an outstanding charge against it.

If the contracts have been exchanged and there is a charge outstanding then someone's solicitor will be picking up the bill, not you.

I doubt it and the NPPR is only applicable on property in your possession on 31st mar of that year.
so if you bought after that you're not liable for it til next year. i konw this as i had a house being occupied rent free by family member and house within 2 km of primary residence . As tenant did not move in til 1st april i'm not liable for nppr til next yr. sounds mad but thats what they told me !!

Thanks a lot for the info folks, you learn something new every day!

What's this about living 2km from your primary residence? Not that it will matter to me (as i'll be living in said apartment), but if I ever do rent out this apartment, it will be within 2km from my primary residence - what bearing does this have with the NPPR charge?

Not liable if the property is being occupied by 'dependant relative' within 2 km of your own property.

How do they define the 2KM.

Is it as the crow flys, or is it by road.

I could be over 2KM if I was to drive.

Back