NPHET concerned about new cases arising from travel

Leo had a approval rating of 75% on leaving office. It had doubled because of his handling of the pandemic.
MM will be looking for approval too. I’m not sure if repeating Leo’
Yes to be honest I don't think MM would delay the reopening, too much of the economy now depends on this reopening with many planning holidays for after this date. Alan Kelly made the same point, a lot of the tourist industry is dependent on this reopening and that a small number of idiots in dame lane should not be allowed derail this.

Why not penalize the idiots and not the business people and customers who are trying to do the right thing.

In the community, is it? You show me your source and I’ll show you mine.

You proposed your number of 10 first, why can't you just share your source? My numbers are based on the NPHET releases.

With 58 cases confirmed in the last week, mostly in the community, plus an unknown number of asymptomatic carriers, how are you coming up with that figure? Within days of GAA training returning, there are already a number of teams forced into isolation after team members have tested positive.
There were 24 cases yesterday. Do we have a breakdown as to where these cases are? If not, why are we not being given more detailed information.
I would love to know if these 24 people picked it up in a nursing home, health worker, visiting the supermarket, at a funeral, playing poker with friends, getting a take out meal...…..

Leo, where did you find the information about the GAA?

If I knew a little more information I could avoid doing certain things and not be so concerned about doing other stuff.

Was talking to a few friends yesterday - they mentioned people they knew had bumped into a lot of Americans in Kerry and other stories of people coming over from UK through the ports and staying at hotels.

Not sure how much to rely on anecdotal evidence but a bit of a concern if true

Was talking to a few friends yesterday - they mentioned people they knew had bumped into a lot of Americans in Kerry and other stories of people coming over from UK through the ports and staying at hotels.

Yes but we still need a tourism industry so hopefully not a return to the mini witch hunt that was going on in April towards outsiders. Leo varadker also made reference to this we don't need a new "valley of the squinting windows"

There is already a witch hunt. Look at social media and the flight arriving from Dallas this morning...Does make a mockery of telling people that they can't travel to parts of France,Italy, Spain where they have the same virus levels as us if not better and allowing planes to arrive in from parts of the US where the virus is rampant......

Yes but we still need a tourism industry so hopefully not a return to the mini witch hunt that was going on in April towards outsiders. Leo varadker also made reference to this we don't need a new "valley of the squinting windows"

The current policy is that anybody arriving to Ireland should isolate for 2 weeks. So Government policy is to discourage external tourism. You can argue that the policy should change but my question is whether policy is being followed at all.

I have family who are living abroad who are planning to come here in August and are booking an AirBnB for 2 weeks near the airport - they are going to isolate and work from there for 2 weeks and then take their holidays.

emmdee "The current policy is that anybody arriving to Ireland should isolate for 2 weeks "when ff mep billy kelleher flew in from Brussels for michael martins election to taoiseach without self isolating cant expect other to do it ,actually it went very quiet with all attention on cohan

emmdee "The current policy is that anybody arriving to Ireland should isolate for 2 weeks "when ff mep billy kelleher flew in from Brussels for michael martins election to taoiseach without self isolating cant expect other to do it ,actually it went very quiet with all attention on cohan

Not so much a policy as an aspiration...
A policy = processes, procedures etc etc
Gov really needs to get real or give it up. Their poker face bluff has been called.

New cases in their 20's for 3 days now.

Why are we not being told where and how these cases came about. More specifics needed.

I understand that there has been an outbreak in Killarney due to a house party.

Is the government trying to keep us all in a state of fear by not providing more details?

New cases in their 20's for 3 days now.

Why are we not being told where and how these cases came about. More specifics needed.

I understand that there has been an outbreak in Killarney due to a house party.

Is the government trying to keep us all in a state of fear by not providing more details?

Yeah it's a mad case. Especially like it sounds like one person knew they were positive or travelled and found out he was positive down there. Where is the enforcement around that? They recently said that 35% of close contacts were refusing tests. Where is the enforcement of that? But social media hysteria around foreign travel and people standing around outside pubs has politicians and public health experts rushing to the airwaves.

Yeah it's a mad case. Especially like it sounds like one person knew they were positive or travelled and found out he was positive down there. Where is the enforcement around that? They recently said that 35% of close contacts were refusing tests. Where is the enforcement of that? But social media hysteria around foreign travel and people standing around outside pubs has politicians and public health experts rushing to the airwaves.

How was that one person infected? Was it connected to foreign travel? And if we have such reckless people, are we really ready for crowded pubs?
One day last week something like two-thirds out of 20+ cases were connected to foreign travel directly or indirectly.

One day last week something like two-thirds out of 20+ cases were connected to foreign travel directly or indirectly.

but that foreign travel was related to very specific high risk countries outside europe which Tony holohan revealed in an off the cuff remark. Now they are clamping down again on specific information using generic terms like "foreign travel", we need to know the specifics because these outbreaks are related to specific incidents and highly unusual and irresponsible actions by a tiny minority. Therefore the response should be concentrated on that tiny minority now that they have much more intelligence and a proper testing regime.

but that foreign travel was related to very specific high risk countries outside europe which Tony holohan revealed in an off the cuff remark
I'm not saying the cases were not linked to high risk areas, but this only happened on Thursday (3 days ago), so Tony didn't reveal anything about it.

They are due to provide details tomorrow of the countries involved in the travel related cases.

Apart from getting all the facts straight for each case, the other problem arising from getting too specific on how these cases arise is that there could be a tendency for people to relax if they don't feel they are at risk from the couple of scenarios that might be discussed.

Does anyone know why Americans are still allowed into the country ? apparently we are the only ones in the EU letting them in . I don't get it.

America is much more important to the Irish economy than it is for any other European country, we will still need an economy when corona virus is finished.

Back