NPHET concerned about new cases arising from travel

I gave some statistics yesterday that were deleted the moderator as “nonsense stats”.
TBF, he/she was correct, I had them totally garbled. Here goes again in plain English.
(As for the links if deemed necessary).

According to (the cautious) Sam McConkey, there is a one-in-a-million chance of catching C19 in the community.
According to Minister Donnelly, foreign travel accounts for 17% of new cases.

When you contrast the risks, they’re incomparable.
Lift the lockdown, lock the borders.

I gave some statistics yesterday that were deleted the moderator. I assume he/she did so because of the garbled terminology I used, so here goes again.

According to (the cautious) Sam McConkey, there is a one-in-a-million chance of catching C19 in the community.
According to Minister Donnelly, foreign travel accounts for 17% of new cases.

When you contrast the risks, they’re incomparable.
Lift the lockdown, lock the borders.

You are doing it again! There are completely different statistics. You are comparing apples with exotic pineapples so I have no idea what you are contrasting.

17% of new cases are travel related which includes people who have been infected by person travelling. 83% of new cases are not travel related so should we enter lockdown again and close everything down?

I’ll put it another was so.
At this moment in time, first week of July, you invite three friends to dinner:
Paddy Portuguese Man, Paddy Meatplant Worker Man and Paddy Kerryman.

You meet no one for a week afterward but you happen to have the bug?
Who are you least suspicious of?

And my last words in this thread for today...

The first case in Ireland came from... abroad.

I’ll put it another was so.
At this moment in time, first week of July, you invite three friends to dinner:
Paddy Portuguese Man, Paddy Meatplant Worker Man and Paddy Kerryman.

You meet no one for a week afterward but you happen to have the bug?
Who are you least suspicious of?

I give up. Who?

Last edited:
And my last words in this thread for today...

The first case in Ireland came from... abroad.

And there was me thinking it as because we were slaughtering monkeys and bats at the the marts.......

Last edited:
I agree but right now there are too many mixed messages as to travel or do not travel. Open schools or do not open schools etc.
I think there’ve been fewer mixed messages in the last week.

I take it back. The mixed messages are still around and probably worse. Did you hear the WHO’s David Nabarro being interviewed on RTÉ Radio?

His closing statement was, “when in doubt, don’t travel”.
Then he was asked if he has any plans to fly in the near future.
“YESSSSS”, he replied, full of excitement. “I haven’t seen my three week old grandson yet, and I’m flying to Britain (!) to see him.”

The coronavirus is, most likely, going to rumble on for years. Especially as we are intent on containing it as much as possible. As a result it will crop up in clusters all over the place.
I have a feeling that the current practices will break down over the next few months, even though the virus will live amongst us.
As for travel, there really is no bigger risk going to Spain or Italy. Holiday makers there can spend most of their time outside. Even in restaurants or bars, the outside terraces are much much safer than huddling together under the same roof in a rain soaked coastal town in Ireland.

However, if you huddling under the same roof in a coastal Irish town, you’re probably mingling with Irish people. We’ve the “best figures” in Europe in the last three week.

But if you’re in Spain, you’re probably in a tourist area. With people from other European countries, eg UK, where C19 is still a problem.

30 areas of Spain have experienced C19 flare-ups in the last week or so. Two regions have put 400,000 under a second lockdown.

Unlikely to happen in Ballybunion or Tramore.

However, if you huddling under the same roof in a coastal Irish town, you’re probably mingling with Irish people. We’ve the “best figures” in Europe in the last three week.

But if you’re in Spain, you’re probably in a tourist area. With people from other European countries, eg UK, where C19 is still a problem.

30 areas of Spain have experienced C19 flare-ups in the last week or so. Two regions have put 400,000 under a second lockdown.

Unlikely to happen in Ballybunion or Tramore.
Really? There are loads of tourists in the country. I met a couple of Americans in my local town. They hired a boat and were jauntily hopping from one town to another. If the airports are open and the airlines are flying, they're not landing at Dublin airport with no passengers.

I do not think that tourists ever stopped coming to our "great little country".....

If the airports are open and the airlines are flying, they're not landing at Dublin airport with no passengers.

No, that is true. The volume of flight are down by 92% though. And not all air passengers are tourists. But all air passengers all meant to self-isolate for two weeks.

FWIW, Simon Coveney says that international travellers pose the greatest C19 risk.
Ultimately, I don’t care. COVID-19 won’t kill me or my family. But for the health of the nation..

Last edited:
As for travel, there really is no bigger risk going to Spain or Italy. Holiday makers there can spend most of their time outside. Even in restaurants or bars, the outside terraces are much much safer than huddling together under the same roof in a rain soaked coastal town in Ireland.
Yes I agree, as well as that the reopening of pubs on July 20 is now in doubt, we can't restrict travel and also restrict what people can do if they do not travel, it's either one or the other or the restrictions will be ignored. If we focus on restricting travel which seems to be the case then we need to relax restrictions on pubs. We live in a wet country people need somewhere to go when there is bad weather. We were spoiled during the lockdown with the good weather which explains a lot why it was largely complied with. The lockdown was also strangely popular but politicians would want to be wary that this will last much longer

...it's either one or the other ...

I couldn’t agree with you more. I’d say the authorities are waiting to see what happens on the coming two Saturday nights.

Based on Sam McConkey’s figures last month I estimate there are no more than ten cases “in the community” in Ireland.
This is a tiny figure and should be zero by 20 July.

But the figures abroad are greater than zero.

Of course, politics will come into play too.
Leo had a approval rating of 75% on leaving office. It had doubled because of his handling of the pandemic.
MM will be looking for approval too. I’m not sure if repeating Leo’s approach will work.

I estimate there are no more than ten cases “in the community” in Ireland.

With 58 cases confirmed in the last week, mostly in the community, plus an unknown number of asymptomatic carriers, how are you coming up with that figure? Within days of GAA training returning, there are already a number of teams forced into isolation after team members have tested positive.

Back