Notice period - landlord selling house.

Dcogs77

First time poster. My daughter today received notice by watsapp message from her landlord that the house she has been renting a room in for 2 years has been sold and has been given notice to leave by the end of December, the landlord has never regestered the tenencey with the rtb and has also refused to take hap payment.legally where does she stand. Thank you in advance for your help.worried dad.:(

When you say your daughter is renting a room, does the landlord also live in the house (ie is your daughter a lodger) or does your daughter have a joint tenancy with others?

I take it the other tenants have had the same text message?

Clearly this landlord has a history of ignoring legalities; she can stay and fight it out, but I'd recommend looking for better accommodation and be able to claim the HAP also.

The current conditions are better than they have been for anyone looking for a rental property.

Edit to add, I assumed the landlord was not resident.

However, if the landlord is living there then your daughter has the same legal status as a guest and so must leave when asked.

When you say your daughter is renting a room, does the landlord also live in the house (ie is your daughter a lodger) or does your daughter have a joint tenancy with others?
the landlord stay
I take it the other tenants have had the same text message?

Clearly this landlord has a history of ignoring legalities; she can stay and fight it out, but I'd recommend looking for better accommodation and be able to claim the HAP also.

The current conditions are better than they have been for anyone looking for a rental property.

Edit to add, I assumed the landlord was not resident.

However, if the landlord is living there then your daughter has the same legal status as a guest and so must leave when asked.
The landlord very rarely stays in the property. And yes there are 2 other tenants in the property as well. Could we report the landlord to the rtb

If your daughter shares the accommodation with the house owner, then she is a mere licensee (essentially a guest) and has to leave the property when requested.

The house owner does not have to register with the RTB in these circumstances and the RTB dispute mechanisms are not available to your daughter.

But if she is a lodger rather than a tenant , which appears to be the case, then the notice given by the landlord is ample.

Was there not a law brought in to to stop landlords from giving people notice during the covid emergency?

Was there not a law brought in to to stop landlords from giving people notice during the covid emergency?

The following would appear to apply to Tenants which does not appear to apply to your daughter. See here

From Midnight on Wednesday 21st October 2020 the government announced Level 5 restrictions for a six week period, subject to review. A new moratorium on evictions has been also been enacted on 24th October 2020.

Threshold supply this file for people sharing https://www.threshold.ie/assets/files/pdf/guide_to_sharing.pdf

See this on Threshold about sharing also

As mentioned above you should get your daughter to give them a call to confirm her rights https://www.threshold.ie/

The so-called evictions moratorium does not apply to people in a rent-a-room scenario.

I'm afraid your daughter will have to start looking for new accommodation.

Back