notebook/laptop for teen recommendation

thedaras

Hi, Im in a quandry!! I just cannot decide which I should purchase.
Im looking for a notebook for around 300 euro,prefererably under this amount, I have seen some on kokplett and elara ,screen size 8.9.
Would anyone know if these are any use?
Or have you any reccomendations?
Thanks

Re: notebook/laptop for teen recomendation

Was it the EEE pc's that you were looking at. 300 is quite a tight budget for a laptop but it is doable if you are prepared to consider purchasing online.

I have used dabs.ie on several occasions and the savings are great (no affiliation to them at all) Here is a list of laptops within your price range. Obviously feel free to shop around.

What are the main features you would need on it. Would you need a big memory/ hard drive, certain programs etc?

HI and thanks schmile, its really just for her to run a sims game on,and maybe bebo ,simple stuff. Am gonna check the dabs website now, the one i saw was on powercity.ie ,about 279e

Ah well one thing I learnt from Sims is they take up a lot of space. I had a HP before my mac it had a 60gb hard drive and the original Sims (sims 1) and expansion packs took up practically all of my hard drive. I got rid of them to make room for Sims 2 but had to give up totally. Il have a check on powercity and see if I can find it for you and then have a look at comparrisons.

Ok its the Blue acer one I presume? Acers are cheap but in my personal experience not worth it. One of the one things you have to realise is that it comes with Linux and not windows operating systems. This can probably be changed but it would mean buying windows OS. While Linux is an excellent OS you would have to check if The Sims is compatible which would obviously be very important.

A few people I know got them in the past 12-18 months because they were swayed by the fact that you got a free ipod (at the time) since then they have had problems with simple things like installing word, anti-virus programs and vista. If it is just a starter off laptop for a younger teen it may be ok but for a teen who may consider using it for college in a couple of years I would consider getting a more reliable brand.

Just a note - netbooks don't have a cd/dvd drive, so you might want to consider if you need to buy an external drive for this. Linux OS will also not work with some mobile broadband systems. However, you can get netbooks with Windows XP and maybe 40GB hard drive. They have their limitations though - not sure they're really suitable for students.

HI and thanks for replies..
OK ,have made decision not to buy the acer,or anything similar,having read your posts I can see it wouldnt be at all suitable.
Could you give me a guide to which one you would think is a good starter?
It will be used on a broadband wifi, would have to have a CD,DVD player and some storage for sims?
I know my expectations have changed somewhat,but Im learning !!
I think I need to go up a bit in the price bracket too,so something around or indeed under 400e
Thanks again..

Back