Note Book hard Drive

J

Jabber

My brother bought a Toshiba notebook from PC world about 5 months ago, looks like the hard drive is shot they're quoting 250euro to replace saying it's not covered under the warranty.. is this price excessive...
What is the difference between a PC and Notebook HDD apart from thickness, anyone know where i can buy replacements notebook HDD, it's a 40GB IDe drive

Given that a 40GB 2.5 inch laptop hard drive can be sourced for c. €100 locally (and possible cheaper if you shop around locally or online) the price seems excessive. Any 2.5 inch form factor hard drive should fit and this is most likely job that can be done on a DIY basis - check the laptop specs/manual to see if/how the hard drive can be removed/replaced and what sort of drive it requires to be sure. See [broken link removed] to get an idea of the local prices for laptop hard drives but shop around for the best deal.

I picked up a 40GB 2.5" HD just before Christmas for €95 in IT Direct. I was fitting it into a Toshiba as well (3 year old).

My brother bought a Toshiba notebook from PC world about 5 months ago, looks like the hard drive is shot they're quoting 250euro to replace saying it's not covered under the warranty

Why not? - after 5 months??

I had probs with my Tosh about 7 months after I bought it from WhereintheworldPCWorld. I brought it to BMS on the Greenhills Road (Dublin) and had a new motherboard fitted without any questions asked. There's a 12 month warranty by default with Toshiba. No need to go near PCW. Locate your nearest authorised Toshiba service centre. I got BMS after some browing on www.toshiba.ie but things seem to have changed.

Back