Not returning to work after maternity

M

murph

Hi
Maybe some one out there can help us,
My wife is now approaching her last month of maternity leave, She most likely will not return to work as it would not be practical for various reasons but mostly financial ones.
What are her entitlements re welfare if she doesn't return to work?
Prior to her maternity she has worked continuously for 10 years paying her full PRSI and taxes etc. I am in full time employment earning 50K.
Any advice/ help would be great.

Mr Murph.

AFAIK, she could be liable to repay some of her maternity leave pay if she does not return to work at all.

maternity

Hi, she will not be liable to repay her maternity pay (unless she has signed a contract with her employer that says she will). She can transfer over some of her tax free allowance to you, and you may be able to claim a carers allowance. As she gave up work of her own free will, and is not available for work, she is not entitled to unemployment assistance.

maternity

> As she gave up work of her own free will, and is not available for work, she is not entitled to unemployment assistance.

I don't think that's completely accurate. In general if one leaves employment voluntarily (as opposed to being made redundant etc.) then one may be disqualified from claiming (PRSI related) Unemployment Benefit and/or (means tested) Unemployment Assistance for up to nine weeks. Apart from that anybody who is unemployed and actively seeking and available for work can apply for UB or UA as normal. However in this case I presume that the person will not be actively seeking or available for work so UB/UA is probably not an issue immediately.

www.welfare.ie/schemes/unemp/index.html

The SW and OASIS sites are worth checking for information about further entitlements. She may also be able to claim back tax paid year to date if transferring applicable credits/allowances to you does not take care of everything:

RE not returning to work after maternity

Thanks very much for the information, it is a great help.
My wife works in a small shop and knows her boss well, If he were to "let her go" after her maternity leave, would I be right in the assumption that she would then be entitled to unemployment assistance!, and would this be means tested.
I will check out those sites mentioned later but I wanted as much info as possible in laymans's terms first.

Murph

re

Sorry in my last post I make a mistake, It should have read unemployment BENEFIT and not assistance.

Murph

Seems to me from this:

> She most likely will not return to work as it would not be practical for various reasons but mostly financial ones.

that the intention is not to return to work in order to look after the baby etc. In this case she is most likely not genuinely available for and seeking work in which case there is no entitlement to UA/UB regardless of how her employment terminates (e.g. voluntarily or by being "let go"). However if you mean that she will be available for and seeking work then being let go as opposed to leaving voluntarily would mean that the nine week ineligibility period that might otherwise apply would most likely be irrelevant.

Re: .

I've moved the more general point raised by purple to a in order to prevent this topic being dragged off on a more general tangential discussion.

ClubMan.

Carers allowance

I have never heard of the carer's allowance before. If a married couple with 2 kids decides to apply for it, the wife gives up work and the husband is earning less than 40K per annum does anybody know what, if anything, they would be entitled to?

Re: Carers allowance

Very little - The carers allowance is €700 pa, so it isn't really going to make a huge difference to the decision to give up work or not.

Funnily enough, when our little girl was born on 22nd Dec, I was able to claim the carers allowance for the full tax year (they don't try to allocate it pro-rata), so she got an allowance of €70 per day for her first tax year, which isn't bad going!

> Funnily enough, when our little girl was born on 22nd Dec, I was able to claim the carers allowance for the full tax year (they don't try to allocate it pro-rata), so she got an allowance of €70 per day for her first tax year, which isn't bad going!

Skinflint AAMers do it January to March! :lol

Forgot to mention that she arrived 6 weeks early, so even I can't claim credit for tax planning on this one!

Back