Not insured to use Bathroom

dodo

We went out for a drive and on the way back we dropped in to Xtra Vision to drop some DVD's with the intention of getting some new one's,My 6 yr Daughter said that she really needed to use the bathroom as a matter of urgency.I asked one of the workers who then consulted the manager wo said for insurance reason he could not let her use the bathroom.The point I tried making to him was she not insured as soon as she walked on to the premise's anyway.But he still refused.I do understand that they do not want everyone using the bathroom that comes to rent a movie but we do go most weeks to the same shop and have done for a long time. I decided not to rent a movie that night as we needed to find a bathroom quick.I did explain to her why she could not use the bathroom when she asked me why.Just felt a bit browned off to tell you the truth.
Where I work we deal with courier's and if one asked can he use the toilet I never refuse as long as he promises to wash his hands.

Perhaps their public liability only covers the public areas of the shop...

Or maybe it's a video shop , not normally somewhere that would be expected to provide a public bathroom....

I know when I worked in retail we didn't allow this for security reasons. Firstly as the toilets where in a private area of the store a shop assistant would have to leave their section, leaving it more vurenable for thief etc. The shop assistant was also put in a dangerous position as the customer was now in the closed environment of the store with no camera etc. there is nothing to stop them pulling a knife and robbing cash office.
It allowed the customer access to entrance codes, layout of private areas of the store, security around cash office , staff handbags etc.
If the customer were to injure themselves we were also advised we may not be covered as customers should not be in these areas

I can understand why you felt annoyed but unfortunately in this day, retailers are a daily target for thief etc so they need to be aware.

It is sad that we have had to become so conscious of being sued. However as a society it is only ourselves we can blame. I know that some stores have very strict policies about this and would blame the employee if he/she allowed any deviation from the rules. To be honest , I think knowing a bit about the store involved, there would be no room for an employee to make an independent decision.

Where I work we deal with courier's and if one asked can he use the toilet I never refuse as long as he promises to wash his hands.
Why do you insist on them washing their hands? :confused: Do any of them consider your attitude to be patronising?

I've a similar example.
Working in a hotel we'd often be asked to warm milk for a baby's bottle.
We had to stop as if the milk is too cold they'll complain and give us an earful!
And if it's too hot (never happened), the child could be hurt and they'll we'd be sued.

So it was suggested the mothers could come into the kitchen themselves and do it themselves.
That couldn't happen as they'd be in a kitchen but all staff had to wear work anti-slip shoes. Insurance reasons and it's probable we'd be sued if a women in heels slipped in a kitchen

What might seem to be a reasonable request is often turned down and it's the many thousands of people who are too quick to sue that caused it.
Some businesses are terrified and rightly so

Maybe staff in the video store can't allow the public into the staff area. Seems a valid reason

You wouldn't expect to be allowed to use the toilets in a bank for instance, and you would accept that because of security restrictions.
If you then consider the implications for security (as outlined by tara83), you can see why anyone handling cash can't allow customers to to the back office area. I know of a place where even with restrictions, thieves manage to occasionally slip past staff and get into the back of the store. It's a nightmare trying to keep valuables secure, as well as staff handbags etc., and the implications for staff safety are enormous. Thieves often use the excuse of a child needing to use the bathroom as an excuse to get past security, so I can fully understand the ruling by the shop in your case.
It's tough, but the thieves and the "sue-happy" customers have made life miserable for the rest of us. Don't blame the shop or the staff; blame all the people who abused such kindnesses in the past.

Don't blame the shop or the staff; blame all the people who abused such kindnesses in the past.
agreed, and also some blame should go to certain ( not all ) solicitors etc who perhaps encouraged ( by way of full page adds etc ) claims from people who had accidents etc. Some were genuine , some were not.

agreed, and also some blame should go to certain ( not all ) solicitors etc who perhaps encouraged ( by way of full page adds etc ) claims from people who had accidents etc. Some were genuine , some were not.

Those pesky solicitors. Why not attribute the entire blame to them altogether. No such thing as free will when confronted with their persuasive charm.

Those pesky solicitors. Why not attribute the entire blame to them altogether. No such thing as free will when confronted with their persuasive charm.

Of course it’s all their fault, same as it’s the fault of the banks that people took out loans that they can’t afford at the height of a much publicised property bubble. The next thing you will suggest that adults should be responsible for their own actions!

Surely it's just common decency to let somebody use the toilet.

It's a natural bodily function for Gods sake. What kind of people would refuse somebody the use of their toilet facilities.

Surely it's just common decency to let somebody use the toilet.

It's a natural bodily function for Gods sake. What kind of people would refuse somebody the use of their toilet facilities.
Would you let any random person who turned up on your doorstep use your toilet? No matter how dodgy they looked? Just because the toilet is in a workplace and not a home doesn't make it any more open to the public. Having seen the state of some public toilets around this country, I wouldn't be happy to open up my workplace/home toilet to anyone who asked.

I asked one of the workers who then consulted the manager wo said for insurance reason he could not let her use the bathroom
It a reasonable policy that the public are not allowed to use the staff toilets although the manager should have probably used his discretion in this case, but perhaps he didn't like the cut of your jib. You should have asked him if he 'was taking the p1ss' but the joke may have been lost on him.
I've a similar example.
The hotel should have provided a €50 microwave in the lobby.
Those pesky solicitors.
Not that I'm a fan of solicitors or claimants but if it weren't for them I'd imagine that public places would be much less safe.
Would you let any random person who turned up on your doorstep use your toilet? No matter how dodgy they looked?
What about this guy?

michaelm.What about this [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzhTVXanSOM" said:
guy[/URL]?
I'd say no but no problem with his 6 year old, remember we are talking about a child and you know when little ones want to go "THEY WANT TO GO,"

Back