Not in broadband area

mango

Is there anyway that I can get faster internet connection or connect to wireless or digital broadband if I am living in an area that is not yet connect to broadband and judging from this area it will be a very long time if ever it would be connected.

ISDN/Hi-Speed may be an option (I say this because although its 1970s technology, Ireland still does not have 100% ISDN coverage) - however its expensive at 37.50EUR per month line rental (thats before Internet access charges!) and is only slightly faster than dialup (64k or 128k). I'm currently using that solution. See eircom.ie for details, under "Phone Lines" - they call the home version "hi-speed".

Vodafone 3G (Unlimited Data) may also be an option. At 49EUR per month for access and internet usage, it does work out cheaper then ISDN. If you're in a 3G enabled area, you will get 384k speed. Outside of these areas, you will be on GPRS which may be slightly faster or slower than dialup depending on the area. You can check 3G coverage and product details on www.vodafone.ie (click Online Store, then the USB modem link in the bottom right hand corner).

Personally speaking, I'd go for the 3G option. Certainly, if Eircom get their line-rental increase, I'll be getting the ISDN line taken out - its just not worth it!