Not getting some channels on Sky

Crea

I have a sky digibox and for the past few weeks I get a fragmented screen for RTE 1, 2, TV3, TG4, Living (but not Living +1), E4 (but not E4+1) and a number of other channels. The screen looks like it's broken into boxes. The other channels are fine.
Today, I couldn't get anything but i've put that down to the weather.
Any ideas? I don't want to have to fork out €100 to get Sky to send someone out.

I'll just add it to Mr. Crea's long list of "Things that never get done"
I think it would be faster to get therapy for my fear of heights

you might be better to ring sky and get someone to come out and do it. they will have the proper alignment tools. we done it and all has been fine for ages now.

BigJoe - the last time someone from Sky came out it cost us €100 and all he had to do was switch our digibox for a new one.
Mind you I think the trees next door may have something to do with our problem now that i'm looking out the window.

I've just switched from NTL to Sky, to be installed at the weekend, are you telling me that if anything goes wrong with your service that you've to pay someone to come out?!? A €100? Jeez, I know NTL have a crappy service but at least you don't get charged for them to fix it.

Our sky dish was giving us awful hassle up until a couple of weeks ago - could not get many channels at all. Turns out the signal was blocked due to leaves coming out on the trees beside our house. When we cut a few branches off the trees the problem was solved. Maybe have a look and see if there's anything like this causing it before paying for someone to call out? That said, I'm not sure if it cost us anything for the call-out man to tell us what the problem was.

Your problem is cause by one of these.

1. trees

2. faulty lnb or incorrect disk alighment.

3. tuner in sky box broken.

If you know someone else with sky you can borrow their box to check the box. If there box doesn't work then it's the lnb or the dish.

If these are ok then it's the trees.

Thanks for the advice folks.
The last time i had trouble it was that the box froze, I couldn't turn it off without unplugging it and it got stuck on one channel. My first port of call was this site and followed a load of instructions but when they didn't work I called the Sky helpline. I was on hold for over 25mins (it isn't a free or locall number to the UK). The operator then informed me that they'd have to send someone out and it would cost €100 for the call out. In the end the guy just swapped over the box for another which took all of about 5 mins. So that's my sad story of their customer service.

If the fault is with equipment supplied by Sky, such as a box, I'm not impressed that they charge you €100.

I'm with ntl and my problems with their customer service are already documented but at least they don't charge when they call out to rectify a problem. And the guys that call out are pretty good to deal with. I had my ntl digibox replaced with a nice shiny new one the other day with no charge, although I had to wait eleven days for the callout.

It seems you can have really annoying problems no matter who you go with. Or, you can be really lucky and have no problems at all...