Norway

narky

I have absolutely no information about Norway and would love some feedback from anyone who has been. my parents(70) are thinking of booking a few days there in the summer but they dont really know much about it but someone told them it was beautiful???They saw cheap flights with ryanair you see.

anyway I would really appreciat any information whatsoever.

I've been to Norway several times, it's beautiful! Where are they going? I can recommend Oslo if they are looking for a big/small city with all the attractions of a capital. If they want to go the fiords, then Bergen is the town to start from. If you want to experience the midnight sun then go to Tromso or Lofoten.

A lot of people do the 'Norway in a Nutshell' tour - from Oslo to Bergen - google it for more info. If you do, I'd highly recommend a stop at Fram - small town half way between Bergen and Oslo.

Lots of info on the Tripadvisor website for more ideas - although try to take the advise from the expats not the Norwegians.

The Ryanair airport that serves Oslo - the bus takes about the same time to get to Oslo as the flight takes from Dublin it's a bit of a drag, but I suppose if the flights are cheap enough and you don't mind the even more tedious return trip (think Beauvais airport) then maybe it's worth it.

Reindeer steaks? A must have!

will pass this on thanks. they are indeed flying with ryanair to a town near oslo. they were told this is a nice area to stay? is this true as i cant really imagine it is but somebody from norway said it was nice town. (they are not bothered about staying in oslo more than a day and have 4 full days and 5 nights)

Last edited:
AFAIK, Kristiansand would be the next biggest town from Torp, probably nice, but can't imagine it would warrant a 4 day trip. Don't remember much been recommended around the Torp airport.

The airport is closed to a small but pittoresc town of Sandefjord, a fishing village. It´s pretty nice but you can walk through town in a couple of hours. There´s a whale museum to visit. I think Sandefjord is 1-1.5h from Oslo. If they continue along the cost they'll find many nice small towns and also beatiful beaches, in the bays and fiords. Kristiansand is also nice and I think is further away than Oslo. If they want to visit Sweden, they can take the ferry between Sandefiord and Stromstad, a small summer town in the Swedish West Cost. I think the ferry takes 2.5-3h and is traffiked by Color Line. Good Luck with their trip!

I love Norway and would definitely recommend going, maybe do as Deirdra says

A lot of people do the 'Norway in a Nutshell' tour - from Oslo to Bergen - google it for more info. If you do, I'd highly recommend a stop at Fram - small town half way between Bergen and Oslo.

Having realtions in a few spots around Norway the only place that I didn't take to was Oslo, it is ok for maybe 2 nights but anything more than that may leave you with very little to do and may break the bank! It is quite expensive to eat out, shop etc.

I love the south of Norway, maybe I'm bias because I have family there and was always ferried around and possibly got to do more than the tourist thing! But Norway is a must imho.

Tell them to go and enjoy it!!