Norton stops me using the net

dodo

Had to get BT this morning to fix PC as I could not enter the net, so as they where telling me what to do I had to disable norton because it was causing issues for them , so now I turn norton back on and I cant get access to the net, so now typing this I have it disabled can you tell me what is wrong, I never had an issue with accessing the internet while having norton enabled before , Is there something I forgot to do thanks

I had issues with Norton antivirus and internet access for Windows 2000. I did not exactly solve the problem, instead I removed Norton and used free antivirus software as recommended here (AVG antivirus). And I believe the old computer worked much better/faster ever since.

Thanks just knocked off norton firewall and now just leave xp firewall on , problem resolved for now but I will email norton to address it anyway something to do with the IP address I have for BT BB

You have a 'dynamic' IP address — which afaik causes problems for certain programmes, independently of firewall arrangements. But tbh I'd have to second Zeus's recommendation for AVG. It's free, and better than Norton, imho...

As the OP is using Norton as his firewall (and anti-virus as well?) installing AVG will not address the firewall side of things, just the anti virus. Using the XP firewall is better than nothing but he might want to consider Zone Alarm or Kerio for a more fully featured firewall solution.