Norton Security Renewal - renew or look elsewhere

musicfan

My 3 months free nortons internet security is now due for renewal. Should I renew at a cost of €65 for a year?

I've looked at previous threads on internet security but for someone who is new to the Internet / PC's etc they appear to be very technical!! If I decide not to renew with nortons is there one website / company where I can to go purchase / download software that will secure against everything (previous threads seem to suggest lots of differnet software to protect against different things!!!).

Thanks

Just use Zone Alarm for a firewall.

AVG Anti-Virus for anti-virus.

AVG Anit-Sypware / Spybot / Ad-Aware for spyware.

All free.

All free.

Had a look at the Zone Alarm and AVG websites.

Zone Alarm is not free - am I looking in the wrong place??

Re AVG - Should I download the Anti Virus free Edition (basic protection) and the Anti Spyware Free Edition?

Would I be better off paying for something or is this sufficient for a home laptop?

Sorry if these questions are basic but its my first home laptop and I know nothing about what security I should have.

What is wrong with Nortons?

Zone Alarm is not free - am I looking in the wrong place??
Free edition is available here. I use Comodo Pro free edition these days.
Re AVG - Should I download the Anti Virus free Edition (basic protection) and the Anti Spyware Free Edition?
Yes.
Would I be better off paying for something or is this sufficient for a home laptop?
I have run the tools mentioned above on my personal laptop and have never had any problems.
What is wrong with Nortons?
Slow/resource hungry, nag screens etc.

See [broken link removed] and the "clean PC" thread pinned at the top of this forum for more free tools recommendations.

All free.

This is the way to go, I have been using 1 & 2 for years, as have friends, no problems. We use the commercial version of AVG at work and no problems either, cheaper than the common ones too, e.g Norton.

All free.

Hi Anseo. I looked at AVG and I didn't see a link for free anti-virus or spyware. What should I be looking at?

I started with Norton like yourself but found it very processor hungry particulary in my laptop.I then decided to try AVG anti-virus(free) along with Comodo firewall but with children using the Laptop it was too intrusive asking all sorts of questions which caused problems.I'm now using Kaspersky internet security 7 which I bought on e-bay for €30,three user edition(disc included).All is going well so far.

Everything.

couldn't agree more I hate norton,, it seems to cause alot of problems, nut I cant remove it from my laptop, anytime i have tried I was told it cant be removed as it was being used by another programme (i think I have everything turned off) any advice on this would be great.

thanks for the tip Clubman, but that is abit above my head, is maintenance/recovery mode when you hit F8 on start up?

Do you have to uninstall all other forms of antivirus protection before you download something like AVG antivirus/anti-spyware (free versions) or can they run in tandem with other sysytems such as F-Secure?

Back