Norton Ghost vs Goback

Deisce

I just got a Dell desktop recently which seems to have Norton Ghost installed on the system included. I also bought Norton Internet security 07 which included a free copy of Norton Goback. Do these two programs( Ghost and Goback) not fulfill the same function? And if so which should I keep?

Hi Deisce - HNY07 to you!

These are very different products, but to summarize:

GoBack - this takes snapshots of your hard disk at boot time and from what I can tell, it also detects chnages to your hard disk and records them while your PC is on.

Excellent product, especially if you want to test applications locally and they screw up your machine, you can go back to an earlier time (geddit?).

Piece of advice - run Norton SpeedDisk (on Norton Systemworks) or another Defrag tool on ALL your hard disks before configuring GoBack.

A couple of warnings about this:

1. If you have physical damage to your hard disk, GoBack cannot sort this out for you. It's more to do with reverting the state of your PC to a previous time.

2. Sometimes installing GoBack can screw up Windows from booting - it is usually nothing serious, as it is just a modification to the PC's Master Boot Record. Symantec, the makers of Norton products, have come up with a fix if this happens, which involves buring a file to a CD and booting the troubled PC from it. Worked for me over Christmas, no problem ;-)

3. Going back can remove e-mails and documents that you have on your PC, as it reverts the WHOLEhard disk to the previous time. As I always tell friend and foe - backup, backup and backup. This is not a substitute for backing up!!!

Ghost is a similar product - indeed it does capture snapshots of your hard disk, but the advantage here is is that you can copy the entire contents of your hard disk to another one.

I use this as work on an a PC that I have set up as a proxy for internet sharing and mail/web filtering.

So it is more of a backup tool, but can also be used to revert to a previous time, albeit not automatically and it involves a more manual approach.

Hope this has helped you out. Also,a void the 2006 versions of Norton products, as they are a good deal slower than the 2007 upgrades.

I would definitely recommend that any person who takes their PC or laptop seriously should install Norton Internet Security Suite and Systemworks - excellent products, and well worth upgrading every two years or so.

Also, if you qualify to upgrade to the next version of Windows - "Vista", it's probably a better idea to stick with the 2007 version of Norton products, thus futureproofing your investments!

Best of luck!

dataloreb4

Thanks alot. I noticed last night that the Ghost installed on the machine is a ninety day trial so I removed it. Honestly Dell are feckers for putting trial software on you never asked for (Mcafee also).

Back