Norton Antivirus Update/Upgrade 2010

Lex Foutish

I have Norton Internet Security. Of late, when I turn on my computer, I get a little pop up down in the right hand corner, giving me an2010 upgrade and telling me to click on it. It says it's free with my current subscription. When I click on it and prepare to install, there's a little tick box (already ticked) agreeing to allowing my computer to forward reports of internet activity to them, in connection with a collective effort against internet threats.

I haven't downloaded it. I abort each time I get this far. Has anyone else received this on their computer? Is it the real deal or something trying to get inside the computer? I haven't received any email, etc. from Norton/Symantec about it and this would concern me, I have to say.

I use Norton 2009, Lex, have used Norton for several years, and have never seen a pop up panel telling me about upgrades?!

In my experience the fun really starts when you decide you no longer want to use Norton / Symantec, computer crashing etc. I have used, AVG, Avast and now use Microsoft free Security (google it). No more paying for Anti Virus for me.

In my experience the fun really starts when you decide you no longer want to use Norton / Symantec, computer crashing etc. I have used, AVG, Avast and now use Microsoft free Security (google it). No more paying for Anti Virus for me.

Agree.

We still have Norton at work but this will be the last year. Got a virus last week which the previous version didn't pick up. Took the new version to detect and fix.

Never had issues like this with free AV.

Sounds dodgy to me. Can't see norton giving away anything for free!!

Hi folks,

I think this is a safe one. If you are using an earlier version of Norton Internet Security and have a vailid subscription, you can upgrade to the latest version, 2010 for free. Obivoiusly, you can continue to use it untill the subscription runs out.

I've installed it this week and would recommend you to do so as it's better and more effective than the earlier versions.

Thanks, Damomac. Yeah, I have about 8 months left on my current subscription and it's telling me that the upgrade is free. Did youupgrade from a pop up like mine or did you go direct to Symantec?