Northern rock - they gave me double

That's a bit rich quoting the person a 'Howya' and an 'ignoramus'.

Are you sure? I remember that incident and the demeanour of the guy in question. He was pictured 'living it up' on the €300,000 in Spain and was going to try and keep the money. The OP should give the money back and other posters should not be advocating dishonesty. Perhaps the money lost on the NR shares is karma for similar disgraceful behaviour?

What a stupid comment.

Its very simple, the money is not yours. Pay it back.

Hi bricktop,

what a moralistic (stupid) comment you wrote in my opinion as well... THEY did a mistake and THEY have to realise it... Pls note: "in my opinion"...

After reading all the 'Do Gooders' comments concerning handing back the money, why is there nobody taking reason with Joe Public. For how many years has the Irish Public been penalised and forced to subscribe to to the carelessness of the AIB. All these years later I have not seen AIB making any reciprocal payment for the bailing out. And the FX errors which the Bank knew but a vexed employee spilled the beans !?. So after all these inadequacies, I think the Bank loving personae need to take a hard luck at the overall scope of things. No one has intimated that one should have a big party with the money. Just keep it for the six years which one should under the Statute of Limitations and then enjoy.

Totally agree mercman, Gandhi used to say "be the change you want to see in this world", I am more into "you only give what you get" thus mirroring a famous song... NR didn't care about the lots of calls I did when I was closing my account in that terrible period. Why would I have to be the good samaritan?

If that happens take the money out and close the account as soon as they hand it over to you in cash its there problem not yours. Similiar happened to me before with a very small amount 1k. They rang me up and said it must have been me that got extra i said i dont know what they are accusing me of and that if they are i suggest they ring me solicitor to sort it out another phone call from them and i would deem it harrassment.

The amount of overcharging banks do is incredible stand up for yourself.

What mistakes banks have made in the past is irrelevant to the issue.

From a moral and legal viewpoint the money should obviously be returned. Simply not up for debate.

So if you do decide to keep it, don't attempt to justify it by going on about banks overcharging in teh past etc.
2 wrongs don't make a right and all that.

Call it like it is - i.e. theft.

That said - if it was me, then I would keep it as long as it weasn't some ridiculous sum.
If it was just a few small grand then ya...i probably would keep it.

However - in doing so i would indeed be doing teh immoral and illegal thing and I would not try to justify my actions to myself in anyway.

That is terrifying... Really they blamed you for giving you more than you asked? That's disgusting... First they committ a mistake and then they blame... A good solicitor then could help you in getting even something out from the situation for the stress caused by the blaming...

I think the OP needs to bear in mind that this is a human error by some poor possibly overworked clerk in NR.
By keeping the money, you're not having any real effect on NR as an entity, sure, but think about the poor employee that will have a lot of stick and maybe disciplinary action taken against them because of their keying error, elevated by your lack of honesty.
If you've never made a mistake in the course of your work, small or big, keep the money, but frankly, in my opinion, if you have to ask what you should do- then you do in fact know what you should do!