Northern Italy - suggestions

Delboy

I'm heading to Italy for 3 weeks in May. Flying in to Milan...planning on going to Venice, Florence, Pisa and finally Rome.

Any suggestions for where to go/what to see in Northern Italy between Milan and Venice? Places to see/go, accommodation, car hire etc. Any tips greatly appreciated. I plan on getting the train from Venice to Florence/Pisa and Rome so will be driving for the 1st while or so.

Thanks

Have you considered Lake Garda or Lake Como ? Very beautiful area.

Teabag said:
Have you considered Lake Garda or Lake Como ? Very beautiful area.

am probably going to head there - they sound good from what I've read. Just trying to figure out if i need to rent a car or can get away with public transport from milan to the lakes and around....

Lucca is worth a day or two - They hold concerts in the town square, which looked like a great venue to me.

The choices are endless. Depends on which route you plan to take. Verona is beautiful, so is Ravenna & Assisi ( hadn't fancied going there but the scenery is fabulous & very restful )
Did a tour of Italy a few yrs back & I think the only place I wasn't impressed by was Pisa.....totally commercial & very little apart from the tower itself.
Whatever you decide you'll have a fabulous time !

Sorry I didn't read that properly. Thought you were driving all the time. The lakes are fabulous & Verona can be en-route to Venice

I spent a week in northern Italy late last year, Rented a car and drove for the week, Went to Lake Garda and drove around it in 2 Days Fantastic drive, 42 Tunnels sections on the way up and the town of Riva de Garda fantastic at the top. Went to Simonze ( I think) at the south of the lake, Big Castle and Island behind it with lovely streets etc. Went to Verona which was very nice and then Venice, not impressed, Left early and drove to Parma, which I wish I had a few extra days there.

how did you find the driving in Italy?
Also, for anyone who's been to Lake Garda before - any hotel recommendations? Is there a need for a car whilst there or are the public transport/ferrys good enough? Are there beaches or 'sun-worshipping' areas to chill out in?

I was in Garda last September.definitely recommend it.Riva is on the north shore.It takes at least an hr by public transport to get to it from the southern shore,but by private car should be half that.Other areas on Garda,would be Sirmione on the southern shore.Fantastic restaurants & a beautiful old town,but can become jammed with daytrippers from Milan.
As a base,I think Riva is the best bet,lots of hotels,restaurants aren't bad either(but not as good as Sirmione.However if u like windsurfing,it's a mecca,lots of cycling as well.There aren't any sandy beaches(it's a lkae-but good for chilling outThere are also great cycle ways & hillwalking,I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.It's a lot better than Como from an activity point of view(however Como has the best pizzeria that I've been to in Italy.
Make sure you take a ferry on Garda as it will drop you off to any of the villages on the lake.They're all beautiful.
Verona & Venice are beautiful,but Venice is so crowded,it can be a bit annoying!
As for driving,quite simply te Italians are maniacs behind a wheel!

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Think public transport could be the safer option.

1 more question. I'll look this up but maybe someone here has experience of it - whats the best way to get to L.Garda from Linate airport.....bus to main station in city centre and then another bus from there up to the lake????

Delboy, I'd 2nd everything -Gal1 & JohnnyBoy has said, also if you have a car for Lake Garda then I'd travel north to see the Dolomites - fantastic sights. I drove around Lake Garda and Verona area for 2 weeks last year and wouldn't have said it's difficult watch out for the mopeds though.

Do the Opera in Verona if it's open in May - take lots of water and a soft cushion as your sitting on hot stone for the evening.

Beaches on the lake are stoney but there are small grassy areas available as well.

Try the ice cream - beautiful.

thanks again.

Where would you all recommend on staying as a base around lake Garda. I've seen several different recommendations on other websites.
So far I'm looking at Desenzano allthough some people say Sirmione is much nicer. Desenzano though has a train station on the line to Verona/Milan/Venice etc.

Plus any recommondations on hotels in the areas you like best in Lake Garda

Linate airport (aerlingus only) is the most central to Milan with direct trains to Desenzano
Orio Al Serio Airport (aerlingus & ryanair) is technically closer to Desenzano but I think you have to change trains to get to it.

Brecia/ Verona would be even closer again - but you have to go via London

Lake Garda: malcesine (near riva end) is a lovely little town.
Be sure to get the revolving cable car up to monte baldo, especially if it's too hot down below. Lovely and breezy, magnificent views, a few cafes. Paraglide, cycle, hike or cable car back down.
Cinque Terre on the Ligurian coast (not far from Pisa on a train, near French border) is a favourite from my inter railing trip of 1999. Do the walk that links the 5 villages. Not good if you've dodgy knees though;-)

Sirmione I think..... 2nd all the stuff about Garda, beautiful spot.

Roy

Sirmione was absolutely packed with tourists when we were there. It is a lovely spot to visit but not to stay. My advice is to hop on a bus and visit as many towns as possible around the lake, each beautiful and different. If you stay in Riva you can get a water bus to a number of the nearer towns for a few Euro. Malcesine for late lunch and sit on the waterfront and watch the sun go down on the opposite side of the lake.

I agree with Grizzly-Sirmione is spectacular,have 2 visit it,but staying there,well it's just a bit 2 small.Head for Riva on the northern shore-I stayed in a great hotel (for a few nights-a tad expensive) that backed on to the lake & u wont get bored in Riva

I stayed recently at hotelcapri.com, it's a cheerful hotel with outstanding views on the edge of Malcesine, the staff are all owners and the personal care was outstanding. I'll be going back.

You can train it from Orio to Peschiera at the south end of the lake for about 5.70E one way, and catch the frequent bus up to Malcesine for about 4.50E. Or the hotel above can arrange, with a little notice for a bus to pick you up at the airport for 25E each way (don't know if this depends on numbers).

Got to Milan if you're into shopping, that's about it though apart from a look at piazza del duomo with a pretty cathedral. Give Florence a few days, return eurostar from milan about 80E, luxury.. (orio train mentioned above, more like we have here)
I can find the hotels names we stayed in, in Milan and Firenze if you're interested.

hope this helps.