Northern Ireland Co.-Annual Returns

money man

I formed a company back in Oct 2005 and filed the first/annual return to take it up to Oct 2006. When will the next accounts be due is it Oct 07 and including any activity for the period up to Oct 06? How long after the Oct 07 date do you have to file the returns. The company traded but broke even for the period with not much activity and i would like to submit basic accounts myself.

If you formed the company in October 2005 the company's accounting period will automically be 31 October 2006. Accounts will be due to be filed 10 months later ie by 31 Auguust 2007. You can extend the first accounting date up to 18 months from incorporation so the first period could be extended up to Mar 2007, delaying the date the accounts need to be filed to Jan 08. However to do this the Companies Registy will need to be notified by the end of this month so you haven't much time.

Thanks, Its a good thing i looked at this now.. i had a feeling they were due around now. How basic can the accounts be? Can you have a nil balance sheet and a profit and loss a/c with:

sales x
cost of sales x

Profit 0

Obviously giving a bit more detail. I dont think i will need to get them audited being well below the limits.

If the company has not been trading you can submit a dormant balance sheet and have no need to submit anything else. If you contact the company registry in Belfast they will probably send you an example or just google it as there does not need to be much detail on it. If the company has been trading you will need to file abbreviated accounts. You would probably be better getting an accountant to do this as there are certain disclosure notes that need to be included. If abbreviated accounts are necessary you probably would be better off extending you year end to give you more time to get it sorted. The form for this can be downloaded from here [broken link removed]
If the accounts are late there is a £100 fine for the first three months. If you need help preparing and submitting the accounts I can help you with this

Although there were no shares issued,loans etc during the period. there was sales of a small amount circa 8k and costs similar to this. I understand that i will have to file abbreviated accounts. If these are due before the 31st August i better get the finger out. i will probably prepare them today/tomorrow and ask my accountant to check them and hope that he doesnt charge me a fortune to do same given that it shouldnt take more than an hour or so and we would qualify for the audit exemption.

Back