North East USA resort

Happy_Harry

As part of our travels to NYC, Canada and Boston I am also looking to chill out for a few ( 3-4 )days either in a beach resort or a well established lake resort.
Requirements : Sun loungers, good food, if near sea whale watching opportunities and not too overcrowded ( mid June). Was thinking of Cape Cod or the somewhere on Long Island, but after reading up on it, it looks these places might be well overcrowded. Has anyone been there around the same time of year , or is there somewhere else I should look ?

Mid June should not be too crowded on the Cape as most schools won't be out yet. Try http://www.virtualcapecod.com/resorts,vcc.asp for a list of oceanfront resorts. Chatham Bars Inn is a good one on that list, and you could also walk to the town center. Whale watching is available a short drive a way.

More north:

Block Island in Rhode Island, in Rhode Island just south of Boston, would be both amazing and not a typical tourist destination for Europeans. Nantucket would also be be nice and is very New England-ish.

More south:

Cape May in New Jersey would be a real Americana experience. (Don't let NJ's bad PR put you off.) Southampton is pretty far up its own This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language and I'd mostly stay off of all of Long Island. However, Fire Island off of LI is pretty spectacular and has a 22 mile amazing beach. It is not appropriate if you are homophobic because it is a very mixed summer destination. Cherry Grove and Ocean Beach would be more family oriented; The Pines would be more than 75% gay men.

I'm not sure how much success you'll have with resorts, as they are more a Florida type thing. If you want great hotels and nearby beaches, any of the above will work very well.