North Co Dublin

r0nn13

Hi,
I currently work in Swords and my Girlfriend is working in Dublin City Centre. We are living in Navan but looking to move to North County Dublin in order to reduce both commute times.

We have been looking at Balbriggan, Swords and Lusk, but see the house prices in Swords rocketing in the past 3months alone.

We have 3 ideas:-
1) buy the most expensive house we can afford in Swords due to the Metro stop being confirmed...
2) same as above but in Lusk but with train access and not the Metro...
3) Buy a semi detached house in Balbriggan with space at the side for an extension and possibly even sell the extension as a 1 or 2 bed end terrace, or even rent it out...

Which plan seems better in the long term for overall price increases? Our long term plan is buy another place and then rent out our first place for commuters, if it is worth it...

I'm originally from Swords and my brother recently bought a house in Swords and has seen the prices go up a lot recently. If I had a choice of places to live I would certainly pick swords.

r0nn13 said:
Hi,
I currently work in Swords and my Girlfriend is working in Dublin City Centre. We are living in Navan but looking to move to North County Dublin in order to reduce both commute times.

We have been looking at Balbriggan, Swords and Lusk, but see the house prices in Swords rocketing in the past 3months alone.

We have 3 ideas:-
1) buy the most expensive house we can afford in Swords due to the Metro stop being confirmed...
2) same as above but in Lusk but with train access and not the Metro...
3) Buy a semi detached house in Balbriggan with space at the side for an extension and possibly even sell the extension as a 1 or 2 bed end terrace, or even rent it out...

Which plan seems better in the long term for overall price increases? Our long term plan is buy another place and then rent out our first place for commuters, if it is worth it...
if the house in balbriggan has room for extension/2nd property it will probably be reflected in the price so little opportunity to make profit.
similarly now that metro has been confirmed for swords i'd say a lot of the potential gains are priced into the swords market already as previous poster suggested prices have risen substantially recently.
firstly buy where your gonna want to live then buy as big as your gonna require .if you can afford a property with additional room to build do your figures first to see if it will stack up and if so do it.
whens the metro completled? ten years? gonna take long time to see advantages of metro ,maybe prices will have reversed by time metro is online.
basically do the figures and go for where you wanna live and size youwant first,investment should come 2nd to your home.

bearishbull said:
basically do the figures and go for where you wanna live and size youwant first,investment should come 2nd to your home.

Precisely. Focus on buying a home; location, amenities, proximity to work/leisure etc., type of property in relation to your own lifestyle requirements present and future.

Don't confuse your home with speculating on the property market.

If you want to resell the property, think which one would sell quicker and for more?

Swords is your only option.

Thanks for all the advice, looking at Swords primarily, but if unable to buy there then may look further north in the county, probably Balbriggan...

Dont forget the commute!
Swords on bus or car can take an hour plus depending. especially on bad days. Friedns of mine livingin Swords working in city centre south side moved to the docklands after 2 years ( and are paying for it ! ) as the commute was so bad!
Balbriggan/Lusk has option of train, not as nice as Swords but bottomline is COMMUTE right?

Balbriggan to Swords by Car is only 15 minutes, Train to City Centre is 40 minutes (Connolly). Swords does have the Metro (In a few years time) while Balbriggan will have the DART extended to it. Traffic is Swords is horrible while Balbriggan has the M1 but is a few mile further out.

Balbriggan is much cheaper than Swords, but in recent months, I have noticed a huge increase in house prices here to reflect the new amenities that have been and are being being built at present (Cinema, Shopping Centre, Schools etc). The Beach is also nice if you ever get the weather for it!.

If you want a smaller place close to town, then Swords is your option, if you want a bigger place with much the same amenities but a further commute, then Balbriggan is a better option.

It boils down to your finances and your own personal priorities

Hi there

I bought in Balbriggan 18 months ago for 188 and sold this month for 307. I also have friends who bought in Swords and proportionalty they havent seen as good a return. I was from the South Side and was hesitant about balbriggan but here are a few points to consider:
1. The transport - the M1 is fantastic for you going to Swords and as a previous poster said the train is by far a better option for going inot town 40 min as apposed to the trip around the world from Swords. The train station in Rush Lusk is not very handy to walk to.
2. balbriggan hasnt yet hit its peak, there is a lot of building going on at the moment a new shopping centre, cinema pool etc and the main street is undergoing refurbishment.
3. The Stamp Duty Threshold - I know you are not a first time buyer but the 3 beds in balbriggan have all stalled around the 317 mark at the moment which I think is very good value. Basically what has happened it that houses that were all different prices have all stalled at this mark so if you did your homework and found out which were the most expensive of these when they were first sold you could get a bargin. I would reccomend going for something in Balrothery - houses always go for more here but have stalled at 317 so once they break the sealing you will see a significant jump.
4 if you are looking at the moent there is one in craoibhinn Park with Cumisky's, they all have big gardens and a number of peolpe have double the house with an extension - could be an option/

Thats just my tuppence worth - best of luck, hope it all works out for you!

Back