Nordmende TV and DVD player combi

Brendan Burgess

Founder
My mother wants to get a Nordmende combined from PowerCity.

It seems like a nice straightforward product. Are there other similar products on the market? It's a while since I have heard of Nordmende and would probably be more comfortable with a Sony myself.

Brendan

My mother wants to get a Nordmende combined from PowerCity.

It seems like a nice straightforward product. Are there other similar products on the market? It's a while since I have heard of Nordmende and would probably be more comfortable with a Sony myself.

Brendan

I would be a bit wary of a DVD and TV combi. We bought a Philips one last year and the DVD part has already packed up (outside of the warranty period also). Nordmende were a great make twenty years or so ago but I haven't heard much from them lately...

The DVD/LCD combi above has an aspect ration of 4:3 [standard tv set], this is fine for just viewing standard cable tv. But for viewing dvds, 99.9% are in widescreen which has an aspect ratio of 16:9, also, when HD tv comes in, this will also be in widescreen.

If you want to use the tv for mainly just watching cable tv, then 4:3 is fine but if you intend watching a DVD quite often then id recommend a 16:9/widescreen tv.

Much better deals are to be got online. if you want to stick with the 4:3/ conventional tv size then there are some LCDs here ranging from €300-500, dvd separate (i'd prefer a separte dvd player too unless it is not viable space-wise, remember built-in dvd will prob only have very basic functions and features). .

If space isn't an issue, there is a nice 27" widescreen here from Mirai for €499 with a really good contrast ration (good for making pic more vivid/more acurate colours). It has good response time (no bluring). remote control etc.. you can look at the spec.
if you want brand names like philips/LG etc.. they are available at a higher price.

DVD players are from €30 +

Back