Non Resident Account

fjgh15

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the position regarding someone who has always lived abroad, opening a non resident in Ireland?
I checked this out with some banks who have branches locally and there seemed to be a little confusion on the matter, either that, or they don't all play to the same rules. All said that a passport or similar identification was needed, but after that there were differences.
The loveliest answer I got was from a very nice but dim lady in UB who informed me that they could open an account for a non resident as they didn't need to have an Irish address, but would need to have a recent ESB bill in their own name. :D
Can anyone clarify the matter for me? Thanks

Last edited:
No problem opening a non-resident a/c. Will this be in person or by post ?
They will need passport (BOI will not accept a Driving Licence that's not Irish or UK ) plus a utility bill, dated within the last 6 months,for their permanent address - if this is by post & not face to face they will need 2 proofs of address ie 2 utility bills & have the copies notarised. Better bring 2 anyway even if face to face just to be sure. Please note that the name on the bill has to match precicely the passport name. ( If name is Mary has to have Mary & not Ms M ...)
If the a/c to be opened is an Interest bearing a/c ie a savings a/c & the amount to be deposited is more than €6,500 they will need to fill in a Non-resident declaration as they will be exempt from DIRT.
If it's a c/a & they are looking for an O/D facility a reference may be requested from their existing bank.
Hope this clarifies.

Back