Non resident Account that will handle DD etc

F

Finpat

Hi, I have recently moved to live in Spain but I still have a house in Ireland which is rented out. I need to have a bank account in Ireland which can handle direct debits, accept rent etc. However all the Non resident accounts I see, just seem to refer to deposits? Can I have a non-resident bank account which can function like a normal bank account, ATM card, DD's etc?

Regards
F

Finpat I need exactly the same product and get the impression they're as rare as hen's teeth!

I am Irish, but currently living in UK. I closed all my Irish bank accounts save an Irish Nationwide deposit account. I've done months of research to find a cheap, efficient way to transfer sterling from my UK current account to a Euro current-account which has a cheque book and ATM or Laser card so I can actually pay for stuff from it. I want to give money-gifts to nieces and nephews for Christmas, and have a current account to disburse for all the aspects of buying a house in Ireland.

as I say.............rare as hen's teeth! If anyone can help I would be very grateful. When I attempt to set one up I invaribly get the "You must have a RoI address" brick wall!

Marie - Why did you close your Irish Bank accounts?? I left Britain 15 years ago and left two accounts open, a deposit account and a current account and now I am so glad I did because it looks likely I will be heading over there to live shortly again. As they say don't ever burn your bridges completely, I am glad I didn't.

We left Ireland 10 years ago - and didn't even think of closing down ALL out accounts - why do that???
We too rented out our house in Ireland, and there has been no problems with using our current bank account in Ireland, as well as other accounts.

We did close one or two accounts that we didn't need any longer, but we should have done that anyway, even if we didn't move abroad.

The only problem we have is that banks tend to reduce interest rates on accounts to something dismal after a while and, if you are a non-resident, it is hard to open a NEW account in Ireland (as well as in Britain).

Hindsight is a great thing, allright!

Meanwhhile guidance from someone out there with knowledge of inter-European money transfers out there would be much appreciated.