Non Res working abroad for Irish Co-Pension eligibility

Ronocco

Greetings

As a non Irish resident of Irish nationality working on a roving basis abroad, I see Ireland for about 50 days of the year. My PPR is in Ireland.

I am unclear if I qualify for either the state pension or the contributory pension. Can be withdrawn on the basis of my absence from Irelanb. I pay PRSI, PAYE and contrubute to the Irish State pension scheme as any other Irish employee does.

I wonder does payment into the system guarantee the right for the state and contributory pension or will I be assesed at retirement and turned down after all the contribution?

Who or what type of organisation can advise me of my status?

Many Thanks if you can give some hints.

There's a good summary of the rules of the State Pension system here. I don't see any reference to your having to be resident here.

I'd say the best way to get this confirmed is to go to the horse's mouth - the pensions office in Sligo - contact details are at the bottom of the above linked page.

I'm not a tax professional so I might be talking through my &%$£ here but if you only spend 50 days a year in Ireland would you not be able to claim an exemption from Income Tax here?

I am unclear if I qualify for either the state pension or the contributory pension. Can be withdrawn on the basis of my absence from Irelanb. I pay PRSI, PAYE and contrubute to the Irish State pension scheme as any other Irish employee does.

Hi Ronocco

Pardon my for being such a cynic but if only we contributed to the Irish State pension scheme. There is no such thing. It's all just thrown in with the rest of our taxes and the State pays for the pension on a year by year basis.

In relation to your own stuff, I echo what Liam says. Phone up the dept of social welfare, give them your pps number and get confirmation of your entitlements. It is very difficult to advice on the amount of stamps paid etc and they will have all the information to hand. If you are paying PRSI, you should be entitled.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Ronocco;

Write to Sligo but If you also write to PRSI/International Records, Ardavan, Buncrana they will give you an up to date breakdown of your PRSI contributions.You can use that to check what Sligo says.

PLease include your Prsi number and contact address.
From what you say I would be surprised if you do not qualify for Contributory Pension.
Keep us posted please.

If you go welfare.ie you can request a record of all PRSI contributions paid since you first started work.

That will give you the basis for calculating your own pension entitlement ie.full or part pension, but as things are changing in that area it would be difficult to give any guarantees

Back