Non-Refundable Deposits

J

jammies

I was involved in the planning of my high school reunion. In the registration materials it said the fee was non-refundable. Turns out a couple of weeks before the event we did not have enough people to register so we cancelled the event before we had to pay the non-refundable deposit at the venue....

The reunion committee decided to refund what monies were left after their own expenses (postage, printing and a non-refundable deposit for the DJ). We are able to send 75% of the money back to the classmates who registered....at a loss of about $12.50 a person.

Most everyone has been understanding but there is one classmate who has been sending defamating emails to all class mates regarding the committee and throwing out statements about "she's been talking to a lawyer. She hasn't even gotten her refund yet.

Are there general laws/rules regarding the phrase "non-refundable"? Our deposit to the DJ was certainly "non-refundable". And our deposit that we nearly paid the venue was certainly non-refundable. The people on the committee were volunteers and were only trying to put on a great event. They are out more money than the people who registered.

This is an Irish site. You would probably be better off seeking a US equivalent of the site to get a relevant answer as what applies in Ireland is probably different to what applies in the US

Tell the person who is complaining about non-refund of $12.50

"de minimis non curat lex"

an english translation would be that
"the law does not concern tself with trifling matters",
or more colloquailly "get a life"

Your class mate should be grateful for the committee's efforts to organise the function.

Thank you. I did realize this was an irish site...just a law site. I think no matter what the country or law though....12.50 is trifling