Non Principal Private Residence Advice Please

Alpinemom

Hi All
we are selling the family home and have just been informed there is a letter needed to confirm NPPR paid.
there was 5 siblings, 2 living in the family home since my parents death.
the house is to be divided equally and they have lived in the house for over 10 years since the death of both parents.
genuinely did not know or heard of this charge before?

probate was done and was never sent any letters to say this charge was owing or accrued.
as i had a small share in house with 6 others it was covered under inheritance thresholds.

how does this get initiated ( pps number and charge sent out ?) and would there be any recourse on the late fees when genuinely had no knowledge of the tax being applicable?

any advice is gratefully received

Where is the house?

You need to get in touch with your local authority. They will tell you how to prove that the house was occupied as a PPR for the relevant years (2009-12 I think). You may need utility bills from the period with the names of your late parents and/or siblings on them.

If the house was a PPR you won't have an NPPR charge of course :)

Hi All
we are selling the family home and have just been informed there is a letter needed to confirm NPPR paid.
any advice is gratefully received
If the house was not a principal private residence for the relevant years, then you have to pay the NPPR charge and penalties.

If the house was your parents or siblings principal private residence for the relevant years, then an NPPR exemption cert from your County Council is all that is needed.

As already stated councils differ, some even requiring utility bills for the relevant years.

As an executor I had to apply to DLRCC last year for this cert so the family home could be sold. I believe they are one of the easier councils in this regard, they just required that I as executor fill out a Statutory Declaration confirming the house was a principal private residence for the relevant years. I had to sign this form in the presence of a solicitor, peace commissioner or commissioner for oaths, post it off to the council and the NPPR exemption cert arrived a few weeks later.

Hopefully your council is similar to DLRCC.

Back