Non English Speaking drivers driving trucks for Irish Companies in Ireland

seriams

I heard yesterday on the news that there will be investigations into small Irish Businesses due to the low level of health and safety accidents being reported.
What about all these people that live in Ireland and that don't speak English and are driving trucks in Ireland every day. We had situation in work a while back where the non-english speaking driver was following his Sat Nav.to drop delivery to us. He was stopped at top of our road and didn't understand us when we asked him to drive straight down and in to the right. we had to go out and get him!!
If he can't understand that then how does he read a sign such as oil spillage ahead?
Surley this is a national health and safety issue?

There's nothing new about this issue. Non- english speaking people have been driving here for a very long time now. I'd imagine it is more the local council's responsibility to ensure that all signs are internationally recognisable.

There's nothing new about this issue. Non- english speaking people have been driving here for a very long time now. I'd imagine it is more the local council's responsibility to ensure that all signs are internationally recognisable.
Exactly.
seriams, do you think Irish truck drivers who don't speak French or German etc should be banned from using roads on the mainland?

Vanilla, fair enough I see your point but why aren't local councils putting up these signs.

For the most part, they are- most signs have symbols rather than writing or both. If they are only putting up signs with writing it is the council that is in the wrong I would think.

They have no problem usually understanding the signs as they are pretty standard in Europe. The real problem is many don't understand the rules of the road that apply specifically to hgvs, like rule on the motorways here can be different to parts of eastern europe. Before they are hired as drivers in Ireland I think their Irish employers should be sure that they do!

I heard yesterday on the news that there will be investigations into small Irish Businesses due to the low level of health and safety accidents being reported.
You mean they are being investigated because they aren't reporting enough accidents? Is there some quota that they're supposed to meet or something?
What about all these people that live in Ireland and that don't speak English

Surley ...
Is that English?

Clubman, your in top form this morning!! Yes, I heard earlier this week that investigations will take place as they believe that many accidents in the workplace go unreported.

Same issue would apply for tourists driving cars here - right? Would you recommend a language test at the Hertz desk? And the same would apply to us when we go to France/Italy/Spain - right? No driving until we spik da lingo...

No rainyday, it's not the same. When we decide to drive on our holidays, were not carrying heavy loads and were not under pressure by anyone to get to our villa on time.

No rainyday, it's not the same. When we decide to drive on our holidays, were not carrying heavy loads and were not under pressure by anyone to get to our villa on time.

Aha - you have never gone on holiday with my mother-in-law then!

Same issue would apply for tourists driving cars here - right? Would you recommend a language test at the Hertz desk? And the same would apply to us when we go to France/Italy/Spain - right? No driving until we spik da lingo...

So what about;

seriams, do you think Irish truck drivers who don't speak French or German etc should be banned from using roads on the mainland?

I'm not saying they should be banned. I'm saying that in a situation where a non english speaking person is driving for an Irish company in Ireland, the company should take some responsibility in ensuring the driver has a standard level of english. Just because Irish truck drivers possibly do the same on the continent, doesn't make it right!!

So given that it is reasonable that any rules that we apply will have to be applied to Irish drivers in the rest of the EU, what do you suggest. The fact that they are driving for an Irish company is not relevant as most of the big freight companies that operate here are not Irish.

Flimsy at best - I've been under lots of pressure driving on holidays, trying to make hotel check-in times, trying to make it to the airport in time for flights, trying to keep the kids in control etc. And as for heavy loads, a fully loaded SUV with a roof box is going to be pretty heavy - Just ask Phil Leotardo's wife if you don't believe me.

This is in fact a major issue which is not being addressed. Gardai are not checking the legitamacy of foreign truck drivers licences, in many cases they are not legitimate and it is a huge hassle for gardai to find this out. Also trucking is not a hugely profitable business so companies are turning a blind eye so they can get cheaper drivers. As usual in ireland nothing will be done until there is a huge accident or prime time does an expose. It is interesting that eastern european truck drivers qualifications are accepted so readily here but some professional bodies will not recognise the qualifications of eastern europeans.

That's a different issue.