Non-contributory pension worth applying for?

Lara

My mum is 83, my father is deceased. She has no stamps as she never worked in Ireland; she did work in UK for 3 years but needs 10 years of NI contributions which she doesn’t have and it’s too late to buy more. She is receiving a pension from my deceased fathers pension of 1200 a month but is really struggling during the winter with heating bills (oil) and all the other bills she has to pay electricity, medical etc. She has no savings, she only has her home.
We are wondering if she would be eligible for any non-contributory pension to help cover the deficits? Can anyone tell me what the own monthly income limit is for cut off eligibility is.

Lara,
The info below will tell you what you need.
Operational Guidelines: State Pension Non-contributory
Published: 15 January 2020
From: Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

Or alternatively if that is too much to wade through call in or phone your local Citizens Information office and they will be able to give you the info.

By the time you read all the key points of Noproblem's post above your mom could be dead and so could I and half the forum contributors. I would advise that you get a Claim Form immediately and fill it out which will take you less than half an hour (including your trip to the post-box).

The Dept of Social Welfare will decide if your mom is entitled to payment and/or any other payment. If your mom is not entitled to payment, then an appeals process will be open to her the terms of which will also be made known to her.

The whole process will take months and if award is given it will be backdated. Therefore, act now as in today.

She is receiving a pension from my deceased fathers pension of 1200 a month but is really struggling during the winter with heating bills (oil) and all the other bills she has to pay electricity, medical etc.

Half the population have to manage on less than this amount every month on their state pension, It's a scary thought :-(

Thanks for all your replies. I’ll look into widows pension and apply for both straight away.
Yes it’s frightening how people have to manage on this much, she is very frugal but medical expenses, bills, drugs, food etc all add up quickly. Currently trying to sell the family home to go somewhere smaller (and free up cash) but there have been no takers after 18 months.

I'm with Leper on this one - apply for everything you can and do it now.

I'm open to correction but I think the most they'll backdate for is 6 months, unless there are exceptional circumstances (and not knowing entitlements is not considered exceptional).

Perhaps it's time to revisit the price factor , everything sells if priced correctly.
Absolutely, I’ve said that to her but the estate agent isn’t changing things. She’s more inclined to go with the estate agents advice.

Yes it’s frightening how people have to manage on this much, she is very frugal but medical expenses, bills, drugs, food etc all add up quickly.

With a medical card, how can drugs cost so much?

As your dad appears to have had a long work record it is most likely he would have paid PRSI (which would have included a contribution towards widows pension) during those years. As others have said apply immediately.
She may also get, Living alone allowance, Fuel allowance, TV and electricity all of which could be applied for at the same time.
Your local citizens information would put the package together for you, and also help with Medical Card application.

With a medical card, how can drugs cost so much?
She hasn’t a medical card. She has the drug payment card which caps at 134€. She’s just had a knee replacement and has back issues so she’s at the 134, plus necessary physio, plus vhi payments every month.

As your dad appears to have had a long work record it is most likely he would have paid PRSI (which would have included a contribution towards widows pension) during those years. As others have said apply immediately.
She may also get, Living alone allowance, Fuel allowance, TV and electricity all of which could be applied for at the same time.
Your local citizens information would put the package together for you, and also help with Medical Card application.
Thank you, I’ll get moving on this for her. Even something small would be great for her.

Surely she must be entitled to a medical card, apply for that too.

Also make sure she is on the most economic health policy, you won't be able to change until renewal but be aware of it and put up an enquiry here on the health ins forum to get advice.

Back