Non-Bord Gais plumber installing gas cooker

gnubbit

Hi,

I'm getting a new kitchen fitted by a renovation company. The guy told me he is a plumber and that he is well able to connect the new gas hob. I phoned Bord Gais to ask if this is ok and if I could get them to inspect it.

So far I have been passed from Bord Gais Supply to Networks and back to Supply again. 3 different people in BG have told me 3 different things (that I can't do this and must use a BG installer, that I can but will have to pay €150 to get it inspected, and that I can do it but shouldn't and on my head be it if anything goes wrong!). At my insistence, one person is now looking into it and will ring me back "some time next week" but I'm not feeling particularly hopeful.

Does anyone have any experience of this or know what I need to do?

Thanks,

g

The gas industry here is largely unregulated. but to be fair to BG, they seem to be addressing that problem. They used to check work for free but lately introduced the fee to discourage non-registered gas installers. Ask your plumber/kitchen guy that you want a registered installer to fit hob or that the €150 charge comes out of the price of the kitchen.

Thanks for the reply. You sound like you're familiar with BG. So will they definitely check the work for me? One person in BG told me that I could get it checked for €150. Unfortunately I got cut off and when I rang back two others told me I couldn't! I'd tend to believe the guy is competent but would like the work checked in case I need to satisfy my insurer.

yes they will check it. you could also go directly to any registered gas installer and they would check it, don't know how much that is in Dublin but you'd probably get change from your €150.

Just related to this, approximately how much does it cost to get a plumber out to connect the gas hob? I will need to get this done soon!

Just related to this, approximately how much does it cost to get a plumber out to connect the gas hob? I will need to get this done soon!

I'm not sure cos I'm getting an "all-in" deal with the guy who's doing kitchen, bathroom and another few bits. I found this that gives a price of €99 for a hob.

Thanks a million for that! just trying to get an idea of what I'll be shelling out in the next few weeks!