Nokia Mobile costing €219 broke within three weeks - have we a leg to stand on

ClodaghK

This is a long story but here goes!

I bought my boyfriend a reconditioned Nokia phone (its the old business phone that are meant to last forever) from a mobile phone shop sim free for Valentines this year. It should be noted that the man in the shop told me that it was professionally reconditioned by Nokia and was covered under warranty for 12 months. I paid €219 for it.

Within three weeks of him getting it, it started turning off, losing reception, battery going dead after just charging it etc. So i took it back to the shop and was told it would have to be sent away. The shop did not provide a replacement, so he was essentially without a phone for 5 weeks, having to beg and borrow in between(!)

Anyway the phone came back and lasted about a month this time before the same thing happened again. So i took it back to the shop and the phone was sent away again. Got a replacement phone this time. Phone came back within 3 weeks.

After another month of it going fine..... it started to die again! Getting sick and tired of having a faulty phone, my boyfriend demanded a new phone from the shop, which to be fair, he was given. He decided to go for a new Nokia worth €130 and handsfree worth €89.

Everything was going fine, until last week when the shop owner rang to say that when he had sent the original phone back to Nokia to see what was wrong with it this time, they said it was water damaged!!!!! The shop have now said that because this wasn't a fault with the phone they want to be reimbursed for the new Nokia that was given and the handsfree.....essentially €219.

However, when you consider that I already gave them €219 for the original phone that would be a total of €438!!!!!! My boyfriend is swearing that the phone never came into contact with water, but do we have a leg to stand on???? Is it Nokia's word against ours

Any advice welcome - thank you

Last edited:
so you think we are in the right so.....was thinking of going to a solicitor but didnt know if we had any voice against Nokia or the shop

They sold you a fully reconditioned phone -- However it didn't work simple as that. Going through the small claims court is a simple and less costly procedure that bringing matters to Solicitors etc.

Fully aware of the situation. She purchased a reconditioned phone with 12 months warranty and it continued to break down. \got a second phone which was paid for. Its very simple, read the sales of goods act. Either keep paying money or go to the SCC.

Was on a radio show not long ago about how phone companies pull out the old "water damaged" chestnut. There is a white spot behind the battery that goes pink when in contact with water and the bear amount of mositure will do it.
There is no way I would part with any money in this case.

Just to let you all know what happened!

Went into the shop, and asked if I could speak to the Nokia repair centre. It should be noted that there were alot of people in the shop and I was making a bit of a scene about how disgraceful the whole situation was (sometimes its the only way to make things happen) Hastily, he gave me the number and the reference number of the phone (the shop was very busy at the time and he was obvioulsy anxious to get rid of me!)

The following day, I rang Nokia and enquired about the phone - they said that the phone had been analysed and that it was indeed faulty but that it was a manufacturers fault and not water damaged. Shocked at this I thought I would let the shop owner sweat as it was now confirmed that we had not damaged the phone as we had previoulsy been accused!

About a week later, the phone shop rang back, asking for the money for the phone or they were going to take legal action as "we were in possesion of stolen goods" As i proceeded to tell him about the informative phonecall I had had with Nokia, he started to make excuses that they must have got it wrong and that he would need to make his own enquiries.

An hour later he rang back to say that he had confused our phone with someone elses phone and admitted that the phone we had sent back was indeed faulty!

I wonder if he would have rang us back and told us this if we had been naive or innocent enough to believe him first day and give him another €219.

There is a white spot behind the battery that goes pink when in contact with water and the bear amount of mositure will do it.
What sort of bear amount? A koala, brown, panda, grizzly or polar for example?